DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

Old 22nd July 2022
Spam Deminer

From the links, those are just forum postings - like any other of your content by none other than yourself. As I have always understood it, what you post publicly on a web forum doesn't fall under laws such as DMCA, if it did, we could all get each and every one of our posts blocked/taken down, as and when we decided and chaos would ensue. If someone else had posted your article on the FreeBSD forums, and changed the name, attributing it to them, not giving credit/seeking permission, etc - that would be plagiarism.

google's response is actually a typical one - they cover their arses and just do as you've asked, as it's much safer, easier and cheaper for them. They may have worked on the assumption that "deleted user" wasn't you, but someone plagiarising your content.

As the subject matter is FreeBSD, it talks about FreeBSD commands and tools and quotes command line output, configuration, etc from those - and you no longer use FreeBSD, but Kali Linux, I find myself somewhat confused as to what this is all about. If you don't use FreeBSD any more, have quit the forums and had your account deleted at your own request, why does it matter if that content is left up?

You appear to view the FreeBSD forums and the FreeBSD project as being one and the same thing - i.e. leaving the forums, means not using the OS any more. So I don't fully comprehend why the forum postings matter, as you're no longer using FreeBSD, presumably not continuing to maintain that content elsewhere and no longer invested in helping FreeBSD users?
Old 23rd July 2022
Shell Scout

With all due respect, cynwulf, you're not well informed on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
From the links, those are just forum postings - like any other of your content by none other than yourself.
This is a forum post.

That Tutorial was an "original work of authorship".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyri..._United_States

What you're looking for is "Idea–expression dichotomy" and "Compilations of facts and the sweat of the brow doctrine".

It became Copyrighted in the US the moment it was posted at a different forum on 6-21-2016, that's before it was posted to the FreeBSD forums on 7-19-2017"

http://www.all-nettools.com/forum/sh...S-from-scratch

As stated here:
"In the United States, federal copyrights begin automatically when a protected work becomes fixed in a tangible form, such as a book or a picture. This right also applies to works saved on computer disks and hard drives as well as on film or tape. Many Internet users unintentionally violate copyright laws on the internet, owing to a mistaken assumption that any work not labeled with a copyright is not protected. Thus, they believe they can use, post, copy or reproduce anything found on the Internet.

The correct form of a copyright notice is "Copyright or © (date) by (name of author or owner)". However, under the Berne Convention, copyrights for creative works are automatically in force for everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 without being asserted or declared. In other words, an author does not need to "register" or "apply for" a copyright and internet material is already covered under the law. As soon as a work is "fixed," that is, written or recorded in some physical medium, its author is automatically entitled to all copyrights for the work unless and until he or she explicitly grants rights to others or to the public domain. "

https://www.lawfirms.com/resources/t...t-internet.htm

Picked up by freebsdnews.org for the first time on 6-24-2016 and their article was picked up by the English and Arabic Facebook pages of bsdmag.com:

https://www.freebsdnews.com/2016/06/...-from-scratch/

Quote:
google's response is actually a typical one - they cover their arses and just do as you've asked, as it's much safer, easier and cheaper for them. They may have worked on the assumption that "deleted user" wasn't you, but someone plagiarising your content.
No, they look those complaints over carefully and determine whether or not they are deemed valid before they are posted to lumensdatabase. I was in contact with them throughout the process by email.

Quote:
As the subject matter is FreeBSD, it talks about FreeBSD commands and tools and quotes command line output, configuration, etc from those -
"Mere facts are not copyrightable. However, compilations of facts are treated differently, and may be copyrightable material. The Copyright Act, § 103, allows copyright protection for "compilations", as long as there is some "creative" or "original" act involved in developing the compilation, such as in the selection (deciding which facts to include or exclude) and arrangement (how facts are displayed and in what order). Copyright protection in compilations is limited to the selection and arrangement of facts, not to the facts themselves."

See Compilations of facts and the sweat of the brow doctrine.

Quote:
and you no longer use FreeBSD, but Kali Linux, I find myself somewhat confused as to what this is all about. If you don't use FreeBSD any more, have quit the forums and had your account deleted at your own request, why does it matter if that content is left up?
If you had looked in the FreeBSD forum here, LQ, Debian forums, or bleeping you would see two new screenshots posted yesterday, prior to your post here. One of a W520 running FreeBSD 13.1 and the other a W520 running FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p11.

Quote:
You appear to view the FreeBSD forums and the FreeBSD project as being one and the same thing - i.e. leaving the forums, means not using the OS any more. So I don't fully comprehend why the forum postings matter, as you're no longer using FreeBSD, presumably not continuing to maintain that content elsewhere and no longer invested in helping FreeBSD users?

It was the main draw of my site and I had no intention of taking it down when I asked that they be deleted in the forums. But they thought they could just delete member Trihexagonal and ignore my request, so I have taken it down.

I'm not going to update a work done to promote FreeBSD, (which will be obsolete in a week or so), like I've done on my own dime the last 5 years without so much as a Thank You or acknowledgement from anyone but freebsdnews.org. Twice:

https://www.freebsdnews.com/2017/08/...sktop-scratch/

https://www.deviantart.com/trihexagonal
Old 23rd July 2022
Spam Deminer

That answers all of my questions - thanks.

What was the nature of your original dispute with the site which led to you requesting account deletion?

I find the site "ok" but rarely post. I tend not to get heavily invested in "online communities".
Old 23rd July 2022
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwulf View Post
What was the nature of your original dispute with the site which led to you requesting account deletion?.
I never mentioned account deletion in my PM to DutchDaemon. That was their idea, but it's the second time somebody from that community has tried to ghost me.

I'll PM you later with the specifics so as not to stir up that muck over here, but I posted about it there last Summer and it went without comment from anyone. Staff or membership.

Old 25th June 2023
Shell Scout

The Hosting package for my trihexagonal.org site was due and since my original material it hosted was stolen by the FreeBSD Project, I took it and the sub-domains offline. I'll keep the domain so they don't get it, too.

If you've ever wondered where Copyright Infringement ranks as offensive behavior in the CoC against (((((hugs)))))?

Very low...