DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2021
Shell Scout

Question Thinkpad T14 (AMD) Gen 2 - Success(ish)

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased my new laptop. The second generation AMD-powered Thinkpad T14. Here's a link to the dmesg I generated from today's snapshot that I installed to an external drive: https://pastebin.com/JQuBY9NY

It shows the Realtek 8168 Ethernet port as re0 and re1 (even though there is only one RJ45 port on the machine). Also, I can't seem to get a dhcp-assigned address from either interface. Any ideas on that?

I installed the latest firmware (including amdgpu) and was able to startx just fine at full resolution. The machine has a 1920x1080 400 nit panel in it and looks good.

The Realtek WiFi card was unrecognized (big surprise). I think the line below from my dmesg is the device:

vendor "Realtek", unknown product 0x8852 (class network subclass miscellaneous, rev 0x00) at pci3 dev 0 function 0 not configured

The real bummer is that I took the NVMe drive (2242 form factor) out of the WWAN slot on my T480 and plugged it into the WWAN slot on this machine and powered it up. Got the dreaded white-list error that won't let the machine boot. Love it when I purchase a piece of hardware that won't let me plug another piece of hardware i purchased into it. Grr...

I have two USB-C cables on the way that I'll try to set up my two external 4k Asus monitors with this and see what Xenocara has to say about that.

Any thoughts on the Ethernet situation? I'll try to dig up an old USB WiFi dongle in the meanwhile.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2021
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceverly View Post
It shows the Realtek 8168 Ethernet port as re0 and re1 (even though there is only one RJ45 port on the machine). Also, I can't seem to get a dhcp-assigned address from either interface. Any ideas on that?
This won't help you much, but I recall reading that the second ethernet device applies when your Thinkpad is attached to a docking station. The T14 models still have the connectors for physical docking stations, don't know about USB-C based ones. In any case: undocked > re0 vs docked > re1 or the other way round. Did you try setting 'dhcp' in /etc/hostname.if?

How's the keyboard btw?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2021
More noise than signal

There was a Gen1 discussion on misc@ recently: https://marc.info/?t=162609588900004&r=1&w=2
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2021
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvgit View Post
This won't help you much, but I recall reading that the second ethernet device applies when your Thinkpad is attached to a docking station. The T14 models still have the connectors for physical docking stations, don't know about USB-C based ones. In any case: undocked > re0 vs docked > re1 or the other way round. Did you try setting 'dhcp' in /etc/hostname.if?

How's the keyboard btw?
I don't have it plugged into a docking station so that's a bit odd that it still reports as two devices. The only USB that I have plugged in at the time I generated that dmesg was an external USB SSD drive that I had installed the OS onto.

The keyboard is good. Feels very similar to the T480 that I upgraded from.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2021
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
There was a Gen1 discussion on misc@ recently: https://marc.info/?t=162609588900004&r=1&w=2
Thanks! I'll take a look.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2021
Shell Scout

Feeling really foolish. Turned out that I did not have a link light on the network port on the laptop or the switch - bad patch cable. Swapped to another one and re1 is working perfectly fine on 6.9-current.

Sorry for wasting the bandwidth! Any hope for WiFi?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2021
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bceverly View Post
I don't have it plugged into a docking station so that's a bit odd that it still reports as two devices.
All OpenBSD dmesgs of the T14 Gen1 models I've seen so far report the nic as two devices. So I think it's supposed to be like that. You just can't use one or the other depending on your docked or undocked device status.

Examples:
https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=6009
https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5978