DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st January 2023
Banned

Default Firefox update fudged

Hi All,

It's been over a month since I posted in here following the dramas I experienced trying to get the OpenVPN daemon working. I've now circumvented the whole issue by getting an OpenVPN WAN licence for my router which now has its own .ovpn file for connecting to NordVPN.

I've also been pleasantly suprised to find that my Yubikey 5 worked in OpenBSD with NO PROVISIONING and merely by plugging it into my USB port. How good is this!

Anyway, the main issue: I tried to update Firefox from the current 107.0 to what
Code:
pkg_add -u firefox
indicated after the verbose download text indicated as being 109. My connection was terribly slow (think the old 14.4k dial up modem speed) for everything, and anyway it reported a partial failure when downloading python (dependency?) on a line that read something like:
Code:
ustar [https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/openBSD/7.2/packages-stable/amd64/python3.9.16.tgz] PREMATURE END OF ARCHIVE
It then reported "adjusting sha for /usr/local/lib...python
followed by a latter line: Read shared items: ok
and a final summary line stating that pkg_add: installation of python 3.9.16 failed blah blah... saved to a partial file name

So I loaded up Firefox to see what had now potentially been screwed up by this fouled installation. Nothing thankfully. However it was still showing version 107.0 so I'm guessing that after failing the python dependency download the firefox 109.0 installation was also aborted and it left my 107.0 installation intact.

But is this what actually happened? If not then what, and how do I get an updated firefox now that I've got some kinda half baked install sitting on my HDD somewhere...
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st January 2023
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
I tried to update Firefox from the current 107.0 to what
Code:
pkg_add -u firefox
indicated after the verbose download text indicated as being 109.
I will guess you are running 7.2, as there is a 7.2-stable package for firefox-109.0 at this time.
Quote:
My connection was terribly slow (think the old 14.4k dial up modem speed) for everything...
I assume everything is routed through your VPN service. You may want to look for the **closest** package mirror to your VPN's gateway.
Quote:
...and anyway it reported a partial failure when downloading python (dependency?) on a line that read something like:
Code:
ustar [https://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/openBSD/7.2/packages-stable/amd64/python3.9.16.tgz] PREMATURE END OF ARCHIVE
This indicates a network connection failure during transfer. As noted above, you'll want to use a closer mirror to avoid network outages -- you are connecting to the primary repository located in Calgary, Alberta. Find a closer mirror to your VPN exit gateway and edit your installurl(5) file accordingly.
Quote:
It then reported "adjusting sha for /usr/local/lib...python
followed by a latter line: Read shared items: ok
and a final summary line stating that pkg_add: installation of python 3.9.16 failed blah blah... saved to a partial file name

So I loaded up Firefox to see what had now potentially been screwed up by this fouled installation. Nothing thankfully. However it was still showing version 107.0 so I'm guessing that after failing the python dependency download the firefox 109.0 installation was also aborted and it left my 107.0 installation intact.

But is this what actually happened? If not then what, and how do I get an updated firefox now that I've got some kinda half baked install sitting on my HDD somewhere...
If you look through your installed packages you will find once called "partial-python-3.9.16" which, while unusable in its current form, can either be corrected by rerunning pkg_add(1), or deleted with pkg_delete(1).

My recommendations: find a better package mirror, update your installurl(5) file, then re-run # pkg_add -u.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2023
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
I will guess you are running 7.2, as there is a 7.2-stable package for firefox-109.0 at this time.I assume everything is routed through your VPN service. You may want to look for the **closest** package mirror to your VPN's gateway.This indicates a network connection failure during transfer. As noted above, you'll want to use a closer mirror to avoid network outages -- you are connecting to the primary repository located in Calgary, Alberta. Find a closer mirror to your VPN exit gateway and edit your installurl(5) file accordingly.If you look through your installed packages you will find once called "partial-python-3.9.16" which, while unusable in its current form, can either be corrected by rerunning pkg_add(1), or deleted with pkg_delete(1).

My recommendations: find a better package mirror, update your installurl(5) file, then re-run # pkg_add -u.
Thanks jggimi, I've got https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to...nstall-mirror/ lined up for the "how to" that I was about to ask you regarding how to actually change the installurl location. I actually did this for openVPN I think way back when I had trouble downloading that, but its been months and I havent even run my OpenBSD laptop for the last 5-7 weeks!

I was also going to ask for where to find the mirrors, but unless this page is lacking anything, I think it should be adquate...
https://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html#http

Thanks again - I'll sing out if I need more help.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2023
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropic View Post
..for the "how to" ...
If you haven't seen it yet, the installurl(5) man page describes the provisioning file /etc/installurl single-line structure. You can add blank lines and comments, too.

I usually recommend the Project's FAQ and man pages as the primary source of information for using the OS. The man pages are not "howtos" but they are the definitive documentation, and any errors discovered in them are addressed as bugs by the Project.