DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2021
Shell Scout

Default Install on MacBook problem

Greetings all,

I have been given a MacBook 2 1, an OS on which cannot be upgraded anymore, so I thought about repurposing it for OpenBSD.

I downloaded miniroot70.img and transferred it to a USB, it creates EFI folder with bootia32.efi and bootx64.efi. The MacBook recognizes the USB as EFI boot, starts to boot, but eventually stops with a message: entry point at 0x1001000, and reboots into OSX.

As best understood, although the MacBook has a 64 bit architecture, the EFI firmware is 32 bits, which causes the boot to fail.

The "INSTALLATION NOTES for OpenBSD/amd64 7.0" is silent on whether other installation media support EFI 32 bit or even older "Legacy Boot", so I was wondering if anyone would know.

If there is no such support, would it be possible to install an older version of OpenBSD and upgrade?

Or am I SOL?

Kindest regards,

M
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2021
More noise than signal

There is a single Macbook2,1 dmesg(8) from OpenBSD recorded on the NYC*BUG database. It's from 2017, and from what I can gather from a brief review, this install used a legacy BIOS (MBR) boot rather than EFI, as I do not see an efifb(4) device mentioned.

https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=3238
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2021
Shell Scout

Hi jggimi,

thank you for the reply. I was actually able to install from the instal70.iso, so my post is now moot.

Is there a way to tell whether the computer boots in Legacy or EFI?

Kindest regards,

M
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th December 2021
More noise than signal

Generally, if a UEFI firmware has a BIOS-compatibility layer it will offer a "legacy" boot option so that the compatibility layer can be utilized.