DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd October 2022
Port Guard

Default FreeBSD fails to install

FreeBSD fails to install, every time. In Qemu, I boot off the emulated usb stick, install to the emulated hard drive, using guided install (not zfs, the other option) and leaving as much as possible at default values. Installer claims to finish, claims that all is correct. When I boot the supposedly installed system, I get this (see attachment), every time.
Attached Images
File Type: png freebsd_fails_every_time.png (11.0 KB, 28 views)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th October 2022
Administrator

You installed using an emulated usb stick to the qemu emulated hard drive. This probably changed the emulated hard drive number into ada1? Or it caused the /etc/fstab which is used to mount the partitions to refer to a wrong drive number (ada0)?.

You can boot using the emulated usb stick into the live CD and investigate which are the valid drives (in dmesg).

With # gpart show -p you can list the partitions.

Then mount the hard drive root partition and check the contents of /etc/fstab and correct the drive number.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2022
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
You installed using an emulated usb stick to the qemu emulated hard drive. This probably changed the emulated hard drive number into ada1? Or it caused the /etc/fstab which is used to mount the partitions to refer to a wrong drive number (ada0)?.

You can boot using the emulated usb stick into the live CD and investigate which are the valid drives (in dmesg).

With # gpart show -p you can list the partitions.

Then mount the hard drive root partition and check the contents of /etc/fstab and correct the drive number.
That was it. I'd had to switch the disks around to get qemu to boot off the one, then switch them back to get it to boot off the other. Exactly as you said, once I'd ascertained the names of the partitions, all I had to do was mount the installed partition, edit one device name in the fstab. Now the installed partition boots.

Thank you very much.

p.s. and without having to do a chroot or an intramdisk rebuild. Yay!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th October 2022
Shell Scout

I've never used QEMU or a virtual machine.

However, there used to be a person at the FreeBSD forums that knew about Building A FreeBSD Desktop From Scratch on bare metal. I'd link to the Beginners Tutorial but they stole it.

You can still find it there. Just not me.

https://www.deviantart.com/trihexagonal