DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2021
Port Guard

Default OpenBSD raw image and package installation

Hi,

In continues effort to create image for openstack environment (qcow2/raw)

so far I am done with following steps but now I want to chroot image and install few packages like cloud-init and other packages in the image how can I do it?

1) #dd if=/dev/null of=/tmp/img.raw bs=1M seek=6*1024
2) # vnconfig vnd0 /tmp/img.raw
3) #fdisk -iy /dev/rvnd0c
Writing MBR at offset 0.
4) # disklabel -A vnd0c
disklabel -Aw vnd0d
disklabel -Aw vnd0e
5) mounted it in following manner
/dev/vnd0a on /home/openbsd/a type ffs (asynchronous, local, noatime)
/dev/vnd0d on /home/openbsd/b type ffs (asynchronous, local, noatime, wxallowed)
/dev/vnd0e on /home/openbsd/c type ffs (asynchronous, local, noatime)

I want to install cloud init , java (java should be installed on /usr (/home/openbsd/b ) and configure my image with some other parameters.

PS : My previous post http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=11619 is some what similar but It was related to create partition for image..
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2021
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Can you not just use vmctl(8) to create a raw disk image and then run it under vmd(8) to install the system?

Reference: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq16.html
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2021
More noise than signal

• If I understand what you've done, you have three empty filesystems. If that's true, you'll need to install the OS on them there before you can install any packages. A chroot(2) is not necessarily the best or easiest way to do this -- a virtual machine is likely to be easier. Yes, one can dump(8)/restore(8) and installboot(8) from your existing OS, but installing the OS in a guest is much, much easier. Depending on your hardware, you can use the built-in hypervisor, or you can do this using Qemu emulation if you need to.
  • A chroot(2) is a new root filesystem location. As currently mounted, /home/openbsd/a does not have access to any other filesystem, so you will not be able to chroot(8) it and then reach the contents of its intended /usr or /home. Instead of having the other filesystems mounted to /home/openbsd/{b,c}, they would need to be mounted as /home/openbsd/a/usr and /home/openbsd/a/home, respectively.
  • Your chroot will have access to your network stack, but it will need valid domain resolution via resolv.conf(5). You will need to copy your existing /etc/resolv.conf into /home/openbsd/a/etc to obtain correct domain resolution from a chroot(2).
  • You may get interference between shared libraries on your base system and inside your chroot(). If they have differences in their ABIs, you may not be able to run affected programs from the new root filesystem successfully.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2021
Port Guard

I cannot use built in hypervisor method (Vmm) as my build host is a vm which does not support nested virtulization. I think there is some method where I need to copy bsd.rd and other files (chroot I believe) .. in that phase I miss some part.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2021
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
Can you not just use vmctl(8) to create a raw disk image and then run it under vmd(8) to install the system?

Reference: https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq16.html
VMM daemon always failed to start seems my hardware does not support nested virtualization..
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2021
More noise than signal

You have an apparent requirement to create virtual machine images from within a running virtual machine.
I am reminded of the old joke about a lost person driving a car along coastal Maine who stops to ask for directions -- and who is told, in a thick downeast accent, "If you wantna' get to there ... you shouldna' start from here."
I perceive 4 possible solutions to your use-case:
  1. Build your OS image on another platform rather than from your virtual machine "host" environment, such as using a local workstation, then transfer the built image to where it needs to go.
  2. Use dump(8) and restore(8) to replicate filesystems and installboot(8) to install boot blocks to create a bootable image
  3. Just install the OS in your destination virtual machine and provision it accordingly.
  4. Use Qemu to create an emulated virtual machine. I expect this will not be a usable solution -- performance will be extremely poor.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2021
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
You have an apparent requirement to create virtual machine images from within a running virtual machine.
I am reminded of the old joke about a lost person driving a car along coastal Maine who stops to ask for directions -- and who is told, in a thick downeast accent, "If you wantna' get to there ... you shouldna' start from here."
I perceive 4 possible solutions to your use-case:
  1. Build your OS image on another platform rather than from your virtual machine "host" environment, such as using a local workstation, then transfer the built image to where it needs to go.
  2. Use dump(8) and restore(8) to replicate filesystems and installboot(8) to install boot blocks to create a bootable image
  3. Just install the OS in your destination virtual machine and provision it accordingly.
  4. Use Qemu to create an emulated virtual machine. I expect this will not be a usable solution -- performance will be extremely poor.
Thanks for information and joke
I would again like to ask a question (may be dumb question) related to /usr partition and image.

Ideally, I am able to create single partition image with all packages and cloud init but when I tried to install java it failed because some pkgs require wxallowed flag on /usr in order to installed the pkgs- so If some how I manage to make /usr (may be other partition separate ) from single partition disk then my problem would solve
I practically it would not possible but if you have any idea or suggestion then would be great..
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd February 2021
More noise than signal

The mount(8) program can mount any FFS (version 1 or 2) filesystem with any of the options the that are discussed under the -o options flag in the mount(8) man page. These options can be used in the fourth field of an fstab(5) entry as described in the fstab(5) man page. As an example of the latter, here is one entry from my laptop's /etc/fstab file, with a string containing 6 different comma-separated options, including wxallowed:
Code:
84cf7725b144158a.j /usr/ports ffs rw,softdep,noatime,nodev,nosuid,wxallowed 1 2

Tags
cloud, install, openstack