DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2021
New User

Default Unable to set DNS server addresses

Greetings all, this is my very first post. I am a hobbyist, not a pro at this. My goal is to edit /etc/resolv.conf so as to use the open DNS servers 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Currently /etc/resolv.conf points to my ISP's DNS servers which I don't want to use. I quickly learned that /etc/resolv.conf is created on the fly by the daemon dhclientd which in turn is governed by the file /etc/dhclient.conf. I didn't actually have a file named /etc/dhclient.conf and I suspect that is because I chose auto for setting up the network during the install of OpenBSD. However I found the example in /etc/examples. I copied the example into /etc and edited it with the line below

supersede domain-name-servers 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220;

However after restarting the network service or even rebooting resolv.conf steadfastly remains pointing at the comcast DNS servers. I have tried several different ways of editing /etc/dhclient.conf using examples of others facing the same or similar issue that I found after google searching. Nothing appears to alter /etc/resolv.conf one iota. I am clearly missing something here, something I fear that is obvious. Any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.