Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st May 2014
Administrator

Default Staunch your Heartbleed patching: FreeBSD has a nasty credentials leak

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05...k_credentials/

Quote:
Got FreeBSD? Get busy on the patch, because a problem with its TCP ordering has emerged, with both denial-of-service and potential data leaks as the vulnerabilities.

The issue exists in how the popular Unix-like operating system handles TCP packets received out-of-order.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th May 2014
Swen Tnavelerri

I've had FreeBSD for a long while. I had gotten to the point where I had pretty good confidence in the basic TCP/IP stack. BSD and its progenitor was the birth of the protocol. The security advisory indicates that *all* versions of FreeBSD were affected. How *all* is "all?" Back to the beginning of time? Or is it not that bad? I didn't see a specific version endpoint. So, are they saying that the stack's always been that way? If so, then the *many* other operating systems that have "borrowed" parts of the BSD TCP/IP stack could be vulnerable. Even Windows does, or did, use pieces and parts of the BSD TCP/IP stack. Can anyone shed more light on this?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2014
Spam Deminer

The security advisory does not state *ALL* versions of FreeBSD. From US CERT NVD:
Quote:
CVE-2014-3000

Summary: The TCP reassembly function in the inet module in FreeBSD 8.3 before p16, 8.4 before p9, 9.1 before p12, 9.2 before p5, and 10.0 before p2 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (undefined memory access and system crash) or possibly read system memory via multiple crafted packets, related to moving a reassemble queue entry to the segment list when the queue is full.
Published: 5/2/2014 10:55:07 AM

CVSS Severity: 7.8 HIGH
However, I think that is because those are the only releases that are presently supported, and would likely include those preceding 8.3 if they were supported.