DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd February 2015
dat guy

Default Should I switch (from FreeBSD as a server)?

I know, this question might look like a flamebait, but I really think a couple of people are around here who know both BSDs well and long enough.

The setting: I own a small server for my personal needs, running ZNC, Apache, Postfix/Dovecot2 and a number of small other services, like amule (distributing ISOs for some Linuxes and BSDs) and Tiny Tiny RSS (multi-user). That server has run FreeBSD since v9.0 which served me well over the past few years.

Now I managed to buy a somewhat bigger server which would, technically, allow me to add services like pydio (so I can finally drop Dropbox) and openfire (so I can finally be my own XMPP provider). While trying to set up a fresh FreeBSD 10.1 on it, I ran into dependency hell and a surprising amount of problems with creating a sane partitioning table.

As I've been running OpenBSD on one of my laptops for a while, I wonder if it could also fix my problems on my server.

1. Does OpenBSD still have a notable performance problem with MySQL (MariaDB) compared to FreeBSD?
2. Would you recommend me to switch or do you see something obvious which wouldn't work anymore?

Thanks in advance.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd February 2015
Administrator

Although I like OpenBSDa lot, the easy method and minimal downtime of updating with freebsd-update(8) is the main reason why I prefer FreeBSD for a server.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd February 2015
dat guy

IMO the OpenBSD binary update is easy and fast too, admittedly the server would be down for a bit longer than just the usual rebooting time.

The question, however, has solved itself; OpenBSD panicked reproducably on boot. Sigh.
Thank you anyway!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd February 2015
More noise than signal

You seem to have had or are having issues with both OSes -- FreeBSD in transition, and OpenBSD in deployment.

If everything were working correctly, I would advise letting your applications and operational requirements drive your OS selection.

---

The community here might be able to render assistance with both of your issues. (If you decide to request problem assistance, please post them in new threads, so that ocicat doesn't need to split this thread apart.)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd February 2015
dat guy

I guess the OpenBSD thing might be worth tracking down. New threads will be created when I'm home, thanks.

For now, this could still be used to advise on the original question