DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like

Other BSD and UNIX/UNIX-like Any other flavour of BSD or UNIX that does not have a section of its own.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th November 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Question GPU for FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD

I'm looking for a good GPU for FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD. As I know these BSDs have amdgpu, so it should be an AMD Radeon.Can you recommend me any specific model that will be work perfectly for gaming and displaying the X11 desktop. Thanks.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th November 2021
Spam Deminer

For OpenBSD I suggest not using Radeon with Ryzen. My previous machine was a straight Radeon and worked perfectly, although I did not use it for gaming so did not need accelerated graphics. My current computer has a Radeon with Ryzen. My machine is a year-and-half old and still does not work properly.

Many people report having no problems with Nvidea, so that might be the best bet.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th November 2021
Arp Constable

The FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD projects have different ideologies that impact graphics. FreeBSD is about speed and efficiency and I recall reading that they use a shim on the nVidia windows graphics driver. That will likely give you the best gaming experience in a BSD. They have a large, active forum which can be searched for nVidea and gaming:
https://forums.freebsd.org/

OpenBSD is about code correctness and security. nVidia closed source drivers are contrary to the projects philosophy and nVidia is not motivated to write drivers for OpenBSD. amdgpu(4) is fairly open and my Ryzen 3 2200G (cpu/gpu) runs well.

NetBSD has a work-in-progress for nVidea graphics drivers
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/tindex.html

Last edited by shep; 11th February 2023 at 12:52 PM. Reason: learned to spell Nvidia
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th November 2021
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacerdos_daemonis View Post
Many people report having no problems with Nvidea, so that might be the best bet.
I think you mean NVIDIA; OpenBSD does not support the proprietary drivers (for obvious reasons) and the nv(4) driver only supports old cards so that seems to be the worst choice of GPU.

OpenBSD 7.0 incorporated the DRM stack from Linux 5.10.65 so any open source drivers that work under that version of Linux should also work under OpenBSD. My AMD Cezanne iGPU in the brand new ThinkPad P14s Gen 2a I bought recently is supported and https://www.openbsd.org/70.html says that Intel Tiger Lake and AMD's Navi 12, Navi 21 "Sienna Cichlid", Arcturus are all covered.

As always check https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi for recent dmesg postings and remember that -current is the best bet for recent hardware.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th November 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
I think you mean NVIDIA; OpenBSD does not support the proprietary drivers (for obvious reasons) and the nv(4) driver only supports old cards so that seems to be the worst choice of GPU.

OpenBSD 7.0 incorporated the DRM stack from Linux 5.10.65 so any open source drivers that work under that version of Linux should also work under OpenBSD. My AMD Cezanne iGPU in the brand new ThinkPad P14s Gen 2a I bought recently is supported and https://www.openbsd.org/70.html says that Intel Tiger Lake and AMD's Navi 12, Navi 21 "Sienna Cichlid", Arcturus are all covered.

As always check https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi for recent dmesg postings and remember that -current is the best bet for recent hardware.
Novidia is sht rly im not going to buy novideo for the second time !!!! I just need an AMD GPU that is supported by OpenBSD, FreeBSD and NetBSD. The GPU just must be fully supported. I'm going to play on Window$ and do anything else on the BSDs. Can you recommend me a CPU for playing video games and doing complicated tasks like compiling or surfing the internet?
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th November 2021
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Please don't full quote unnecessarily, it degrades the readability of the thread.

The dmesg postings to which I linked above will show which GPUs are supported by the *BSDs, just check for loaded drivers; for example:
Code:
inteldrm0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0 "Intel HD Graphics 3000" rev 0x09
drm0 at inteldrm0
inteldrm0: msi, SANDYBRIDGE, gen 6
^ That shows the Intel HD 3000 has been recognised and a DRM driver has been assigned.

Full dmesg: https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=6338

And in respect of CPUs my Ryzen 5850U is a beast: the Cezanne iGPU plays DiRT Rally 2.0 (a recent AAA game) at a consistent >30FPS even in the snow & rain stages under Arch, and the CPU itself crunches through a kernel compilation in just a few minutes.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th November 2021
Spam Deminer

@Head_on_a_Stick

Yes, OpenBSD uses Linux drivers for amd64. Most Linux distributions have the same problem I have - drm. -current was steadily improving with my Lenovo E595 until 7.0 was released. Since then it has deteriorated to an appalling degree. The system is now almost unusable. But at least the developers are imagining every theoretical security vulnerability and "fixing" them. (Yes I am getting annoyed.)

Last edited by sacerdos_daemonis; 29th November 2021 at 03:50 AM.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th November 2021
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
FreeBSD is about speed and efficiency and I recall reading that they use a shim on the nVidea windows graphics driver.
Nvidia provides official proprietary drivers for FreeBSD, but yes, those are likely to just be based on Windows ones.
Quote:
NetBSD has a work-in-progress for nVidea graphics drivers
https://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/tindex.html
NetBSD provides nouveau(4) (in conjunction with x11/xf86-video-nouveau) as a FOSS accelerated drm/kms driver for Nvidia GPUs. Unfortunately, unlike i915 and amdgpu, nouveau was born as a retro-engineered driver, and the performance drop, in comparison with the proprietary driver, is consistent. The current nouveau implementation was ported from Linux 4.4 to NetBSD 8.0 and supports Geforce series up to GTX 9xx. This has been tested and was reported working by a vast number of users, including me. Optimus hybrid graphics are not supported, unless firmware allows to disable the intel card.
An update for the drm code in the netbsd kernel is in the work, and is based on Linux 5.6. Should be included in -10 release if considered stable enough. Testing and bug reporting is highly welcomed. See this thread on UnitedBSD.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th February 2022
Port Guard

Over years, several AMD/ATI radeon display/video/graphics cards worked for me on NetBSD Unix & FreeBSD Unix & (at least for installer) DragonFlyBSD Unix. I used to use nvidia quite a few years ago but got frustrated it was closed hardware... actually radeons aren't entirely open hardware but may be better than no GPU at all. I used everything from maybe old (non-RX) 6000s to vega to (skipped radeon VII) 5700 (XT) to 6900 (XT) and they all worked fine for day-to-day usage, but I didn't try advanced 3D graphics.
Old 11th February 2023
Port Guard

Discrete Vega 56/64's cards work on all 3 BSD's. Also on DragonFly BSD for that matter.