DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th October 2022
Shell Scout

Default openbsd, minipc (raspb-like), and nextcloud for backups?

hi
Im a bit wondering about data backups in cloud. Im also allergic of paid subscription, I have an account at a big european cloud storage (general retail) whom provided me for few hundred euros a 2TB lifetime storage, with webdav/api access
But, I dont want to get the bill louder. I wonder about :
even if their qual of service seems correct (for the moment, 2 years of usage, compared to hubic [discontinued] at his time), I still have in mind those different potential issues, such as :
* a burning datacenter (thank you ovh)
* an offer too old or discontnied (if the provider is bought, or company closes)
* a server unavailable or a killed by ransomware (or other)
* and others potential risks : internet shutdowned at a country scale (happened in syria and not only), servers caught by justice (see mega/dotcom story), and probably many others..

that first view came from a first little investmnent, paid for itself over five/six years, the idea was (and is still) "supposed" as a "good idea". But, careful (even parano) as I am (not enough, regarding my adventures the national day of backup ), I already tink about accompany it by something secondary.

and there Im thinkign to a little project whom growning in my little mind :
what about having my own nextcloud server hosted at home on openbsd?

does some of you already tried to create a sort of minicomputer (raspberry or other) with a 512/1024GB microsd card, with httpd or apache-like whom runs nextcloud? or with another API?

Im wondering about create a such system but I dont know well this little world, discovering openbsd and others tools on laptops. What are you thoughts (or feedbacks) regarding :

* bandwidth (fiber or adsl)
* read/write speed
* fiability of hardware
* electric consumption
* cyber precautions and things to take up with (port forwarding)
* pricing (vs lifetime offers)

ps: Im intended to use it also via postmarketos client, but does nextcloud can be used through webdav? I tried disroot's nextcloud and it could be (very) slow..

thanks for your answers!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th October 2022
Administrator

The Andrew File System (AFS) is a distributed file system. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_File_System. IIRC OpenBSD used to have some support for it.
A list of distributed file systems can be found at Distributed File Systems

Of these systems Inter Planetary File System (IPFS_ seems to be popular.

It is not an answer to your questions, but are you aware of Tarsnap?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th October 2022
More noise than signal

Tarsnap is a commercial service, which harrollld wants to avoid. It's US$0.25 per GB per month for storage, and US$0.25 per GB backed up or restored. Granted, those GB are de-duplicated and compressed, but there are still some out-of-pocket costs for the service.