DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th January 2020
Port Guard

Default How do I make unveil access any folder I want when using Firefox?

First time poster. Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place.

I am using OpenBSD -current and I am having some issues with unveil and Firefox.

As you know unveil by default only gives Firefox access to ~/Downloads, but I want to be able to download into other folders. I have managed to give Firefox access to ~/Pictures, ~/Documents and ~/Videos by adding
~/Pictures rwc
~/Documents rwc
~/Videos rwc
to /usr/lib/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/unveil.main, but I can't seem to give access to any other folder in my home folder, such as ~/Dropbox.

I am quite the noob at openbsd and forgive me if this is explained in the unveil man.

Last edited by J65nko; 13th January 2020 at 07:37 AM. Reason: unvail -> unveil ;-)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th January 2020
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

/usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/firefox recommends not changing the files in /usr/local/, instead making local copies in /etc and editing them there. Otherwise, you will need to revise the files each time you update the package.
Quote:
Files containing pledge promises and unveil paths and permissions for each type of process are located in /usr/local/lib/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/. Each file can be overridden by copying it to /etc/firefox/ and modifying it.
There are two recent forum threads that discuss this subject, which might help. One. Two.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2020
Port Guard

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I now copied the files from /usr/local/lib/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences/ to /etc/firefox/ and the problem still persist only this time there is some problem with the fonts (picture attached)

One other problem I have with unveil is with making transmission-gtk open magnet links. Adding /usr/local/bin/transmission-gtk rx to unveil.main works, but it opens a new instance of transmission every time even if transmission is already running.

Again, noob at openbsd, so please bare with me

EDIT: apparently transmission-gtk also have the same font issues now.
I recently did sysupgrade -s then pkg_add -u after booting. Something must have gone wrong....
EDIT 2: did a reboot and the fonts are back to normal
Attached Images
File Type: png 2020-01-12-032115_1280x800_scrot.png (52.0 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by d31n1; 12th January 2020 at 02:48 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th January 2020
More noise than signal

GTK version 3 on OpenBSD uses unveil(2). To my understanding Qt version 5 does not. You might try transmission--qt to see if it the Qt flavor works better for you than transmission--gtk.

Tags
current, firefox, openbsd, unveil