DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2022
Administrator

Default Dad Photographs Son for Doctor. Google Flags Him as Criminal, Notifies Police

From https://tech.slashdot.org/story/22/0...otifies-police

Quote:
"The nurse said to send photos so the doctor could review them in advance," the New York Times reports, decribing how an ordeal began in February of 2021 for a software engineer named Mark who had a sick son:
Mark's wife grabbed her husband's phone and texted a few high-quality close-ups of their son's groin area to her iPhone so she could upload them to the health care provider's messaging system. In one, Mark's hand was visible, helping to better display the swelling. Mark and his wife gave no thought to the tech giants that made this quick capture and exchange of digital data possible, or what those giants might think of the images. With help from the photos, the doctor diagnosed the issue and prescribed antibiotics, which quickly cleared it up....

Two days after taking the photos of his son, Mark's phone made a blooping notification noise: His account had been disabled because of "harmful content" that was "a severe violation of Google's policies and might be illegal." A "learn more" link led to a list of possible reasons, including "child sexual abuse & exploitation...."
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2022
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

I bet 87,000 more IRS agents can improve upon that story!
So AI software in not perfect and needs tweaking, Duh!

Last edited by frcc; 22nd August 2022 at 12:56 PM. Reason: addition
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd August 2022
Administrator

It is not the AI software that needs tweaking. What I don't understand is this:
Quote:
"Mark appealed his case to Google again, providing the police report, but to no avail.... A Google spokeswoman said the company stands by its decisions..."
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2022
Arp Constable

Google is a largely impenetrable cathedral. I've been trying to learn Android development with a cheap phone that violates a core complaince guideline. All phones MUST have mechanism to replace the whole operating system:
https://source.android.com/docs/comp...table_software

TCL, the manufacturer, claims Android compliance but has disabled fastboot and updates via removeable storage. I can't find the Cathedral magistrate to tell that them that TCL self-reported compliance is a myth.

The subject has a great court case - one the Google spokewoman's algorithm never anticipated.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd August 2022
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
It is not the AI software that needs tweaking. What I don't understand is this:
The reason i think its AI
It almost had to be an "AI algorithm" that first reported the pictures or docs to the Google powers that be. Following that Google's decision if, "the incident was reported correctly" is incomprehensible. There is almost zero chance that a human stumbled across that information on their systems by sorting manually thru the gazillions of bits that are there 24/7 and changing continuously. Anyway why use them if they behave in that manner?
My 2 cents

Last edited by frcc; 23rd August 2022 at 12:46 PM.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2022
ISO Quartermaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcc View Post
It almost had to be an "AI algorithm" that first reported the pictures or docs to the Google powers that be. Following that Google's decision if, "the incident was reported correctly" is incomprehensible. There is almost zero chance that a human stumbled across that information on their systems by sorting manually thru the gazillions of bits that are there 24/7 and changing continuously. Anyway why use them if they behave in that manner?
My 2 cents
I agree that it is largely a defense not only of Google policies, but its in-house build AI.

It is hard to abandon Google/Alphabet completely. In many languages Google is the only search engine with acceptable results.

Maybe some people after this kind of news about Google/Alphabet sending denunciation to police and authorities automatically will change their minds.
On Android phones not logging in to Google Account forces user to use hack-ish solutions to install commonly used apps.
To be honest GMail is also one of the safest way to handle e-mails with its extensive malicious/suspicious e-mail flagging capabilities. I can live without it, but it can really help some average Joe prevent from being phished/infected.

Others like calendar etc have alternatives, but many people stick to it since it is free and they use Google Account on their mobile anyway.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th August 2022
Don't Worry Be Happy!

e1-531g

Using my smart phone and (Gmail) I agree although i don't like it. I never use Google search on any of my devices.
I try to limit Gmail as much as possible and a goal maybe not attainable right now is to simply go back to a flip up phone that is not smart. On desktop, laptop i try to use Tor, or Links OR Duckduckgo under Firefox to try to reduce some of the non-sense out there.

In my "opinion" cyber phishing, id theft, etc is just like home security. You cannot stop a determined thief breaking into your home and stealing, but you can create barriers that frustrate or slow down the intruder creating red flags so that it might give you time to respond or make it not worth their effort or limit the value of their target.

Last edited by frcc; 27th August 2022 at 02:35 PM. Reason: add and clarify
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2022
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by frcc View Post
It almost had to be an "AI algorithm" that first reported the pictures or docs to the Google powers that be. Following that Google's decision if, "the incident was reported correctly" is incomprehensible. There is almost zero chance that a human stumbled across that information on their systems by sorting manually thru the gazillions of bits that are there 24/7 and changing continuously.
One; it is laziness. They do not want to "waste time" on things the software can supposedly deal with.
Two; it is also bureaucracy. They have a system and all human actions are within the system. Independent thinking and bureaucracy are incompatible.

Quote:
Anyway why use them if they behave in that manner?
My 2 cents
Exactly. They are the largest service, but not the only one. (And most of the others do not trawl every bit of data of their users.)
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th August 2022
Don't Worry Be Happy!

A little Gmail update as they also struggle to sustain security
https://thehackernews.com/2022/08/go...y-iranian.html
Old 17th September 2022
ISO Quartermaster

Nothing should be given the authorities without a human tracking it. I hope the victim gets a huge payout from google. Not that it will hurt them but the victim deserves a LOT in compensation for their incompetence.
Old 19th September 2022
Port Guard

Location: stuck on earth, in the timeline of Yesterday's Enterprise

When OWS and the (initial) Tea Party alike protested the government bailing out the institutions and people responsible for the 2008-10 financial bust while leading millions to foreclosure, I at least moved my bank account to a credit union. It wasn't much. But, if everyone did it, several corporate bad actors would be out of business and, in turn, shareholders would in the future be reluctant to buy and hold shares of other companies with similar business practices.

So, I hope events like this, SEME impact on elections, demonitization, locking, deplatforming, etc. spur people to leave or avoid this corporatocratic panopticon. Techies built it. Techies must lead the way out of it and evangelize to friends and family.

Despite feeling this way for a decade, I only recently did anything. I migrated my email archive from gmail to http://freeshell.net. (Well...the mail service ain't free.) Now I have to go about updating my email address on every important online account. After that, I'll delete my google account. I've stopped surfing YT for entertainment, don't send anyone any more YT links, and upon receiving any such links remind the sender to please link to the same content elsewhere if it's available.

Probably won't make a difference. Just like my moving money to a credit union and telling all my friends and family didn't spur any of them to action. But, might as well try. I'm stupid that way.

Some possibly useful projects:
https://prism-break.org/en/all/

I have my doubts about some. But, it's worth reading.

Last edited by talos4; 20th September 2022 at 09:29 AM.
Old 20th September 2022
Don't Worry Be Happy!

talos4
You took action you believe in - Congratulations. Also, don't underestimate the value of your decisions. I am also slowly moving in that direction. Google is convenient but not necessarily for life on line. The more convenient the more security risk and the more personal data spread everywhere.

Last edited by frcc; 20th September 2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 21st September 2022
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by talos4 View Post
When OWS and the (initial) Tea Party alike protested the government bailing out the institutions and people responsible for the 2008-10 financial bust while leading millions to foreclosure, I at least moved my bank account to a credit union. It wasn't much. But, if everyone did it, several corporate bad actors would be out of business and, in turn, shareholders would in the future be reluctant to buy and hold shares of other companies with similar business practices.

So, I hope events like this, SEME impact on elections, demonitization, locking, deplatforming, etc. spur people to leave or avoid this corporatocratic panopticon. Techies built it. Techies must lead the way out of it and evangelize to friends and family.

Despite feeling this way for a decade, I only recently did anything. I migrated my email archive from gmail to http://freeshell.net. (Well...the mail service ain't free.) Now I have to go about updating my email address on every important online account. After that, I'll delete my google account. I've stopped surfing YT for entertainment, don't send anyone any more YT links, and upon receiving any such links remind the sender to please link to the same content elsewhere if it's available.

Probably won't make a difference. Just like my moving money to a credit union and telling all my friends and family didn't spur any of them to action. But, might as well try. I'm stupid that way.

Some possibly useful projects:
https://prism-break.org/en/all/

I have my doubts about some. But, it's worth reading.
PRISM-Break is a relatively mediocre website to refer to for privacy technologies; it hardly offers any guides and is practically just a list of software without too much (necessary) explanation. If you're interested in digital privacy, I'd recommend the websites https://thenewoil.org/ and https://www.privacyguides.org/ . Both websites, especially the former act as proper guides to achieving digital privacy (somewhat). I personally prefer the former site, but the latter "privacyguides.org" is well maintained as well.