DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

Old 4th August 2022
Shell Scout

I asked them. The answer was:
Quote:
Disable the radeondrm driver.
Which i would do, however i googled with no avail for how i can...
The only thing i have found was bsd.re-config, but doing
Code:
echo "disable radeondrm" >> /etc/bsd.re-config
or
Code:
echo "disable radeondrm0" >> /etc/bsd.re-config
did nothing.

What is the driver's name in the first place - radeondrm0 or radeondrm - and where can i disable it?
Old 4th August 2022
Administrator

See boot_config(8)
More noise than signal

Here's a bit of background which may help.
  • The driver is named "radeondrm" and the driver's first (and only) instance is #0, so your kernel messages refer to device "radeondrm0".
  • Usually, when there may be multiple instances of a driver, the kernel configuration uses object-oriented class definitions to allow the kernel to instantiate each instance, without specific defined numbering. The rules are defined in the files.conf(5) man page, and you can see the rule for radeondrm(8) in the man page SYNOPSIS section, where it is listed as `radeondrm* at pci?`.
  • Lastly, the disable command you are placing into the /etc/bsd.re-config file is described in the config(8) man page.
Once you have the configuration change in the /etc/bsd.re-config file, you need to relink a new kernel with the revised configuration. Run /usr/libexec/reorder_kernel to do that, then reboot.
Old 4th August 2022
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
I saw it, but since i am not familiar with OpenBSD's driver handling, i had no idea where to look and what to look for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Run /usr/libexec/reorder_kernel to do that, then reboot.
Thank you, that was the missing piece; now it is 80x25 again.
Old 4th August 2022
More noise than signal

It's confusing, primarily due to BSD kernel history. OpenBSD uses a monolithic kernel*, so all its drivers must be predefined in the kernel you are booting, they cannot be loaded later. Since the early days of BSD, admins could use config(8) to intentionally disable a driver or modify existing driver flags, and make other limited kernel changes. But config(8) interferes with OpenBSD's Kernel Address Randomized Link (KARL) process, a feature added to OpenBSD for enhanced security.

The bsd.re-config(8) mechanism is the way config(8) provisions can be integrated into the environment with KARL. Prior to bsd.re-config(8), making local kernel changes required us to run with KARL disabled.

* Kernel module support existed at one time, but it was removed from OpenBSD a long time ago. My memory is hazy but without researching I'd say at least 15 years ago.