DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Old 22nd December 2022
Fdisk Soldier

Dear Users,

I was making a search and found this thread. So instead of opening up a new one, I'd like to continue from here.

I made a file transfer from Windows 10 to OpenBSD(amd64-Virtual Machine on Hyper-V) by "scp -r filelocation filelocation". The files have been created on WSL(Windows Subsytem for Linux) then I moved them to OpenBSD VM for test. Right now I realized that some of these files are missing. My questions are

1-Are files missing because of file format difference?
  1. If file format difference can be a problem, how can I make them compatible?
2-Is "scp -r" command not the correct command for transferring all the files?
3-For the next time how can I check if all the files have been copied from location A to location B?

If someone would like to ask what are those files? It is a Flask web application. So it contains Python installation and some of those files related to Python are missing.

UPDATE #1:
For Question #3, I hit "find . -type f | wc -l" in both systems and it gave the same number while I was in the main folder. Also I cd'd to the folder that I claim there are missing files, and I again hit "find . -type f | wc -l" and the result is still same for both systems. But you cannot see some files when you type "ls" while you're in that particular folder in the OpenBSD system. So I guess this problem resulted because of a file format difference. Can you agree with that idea?

Last edited by gordon.f; 22nd December 2022 at 09:19 AM.
Old 22nd December 2022
More noise than signal

Just a guess on my part that you have one or more "hidden" files. Files that begin with a dot as the first character will not appear in an ls(1) output listing when the options -A or -a are not set.
Old 22nd December 2022
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Just a guess on my part that you have one or more "hidden" files. Files that begin with a dot as the first character will not appear in an ls(1) output listing when the options -A or -a are not set.
Dear jggimi,

I checked the "ls -a" and there is no difference.

and here is the result for "ls -l" .
Code:
activate
activate.csh
activate.fish
Activate.ps1
alembic
email_validator
flask
mako-render
pip
pip3
pip3.10
python -> python3
python3 -> /usr/bin/python3
python3.10 -> python3
rq
rqinfo
rqworker
This is the result at WSL and with bash shell. Those three python files are missing. Bash listed them with a different color. Are they linked to somewhere else? Is that the reason why they are missing after being copied?
Old 22nd December 2022
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon.f View Post
Those three python files are missing.
Those three are not normal files, as you'd guessed. They are symbolic links. You can create them with the ln(1) utility and its -s option.
Old 22nd December 2022
Fdisk Soldier

Dear jggimi,

Thanks a lot, this clarified.