DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st January 2023
Shell Scout

Default Dying machine?

Today afternoon my machine suddenly stopped to boot into desktop. During boot, it was stuck when this was printed:
Code:
[   14.526805] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
[   14.526976] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.43.0-ioctl (2020-10-01) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
After it was printed out, the HDD led was blinking for awhile, but then the system hanged. Three consecutive times. I booted into recovery mode and that worked, i even was able to run startx and get a desktop. Then i powered down the machine and started it again. This time it got to the desktop.

I did not change anything today in my system, i just wrote (purely notes) into some txt-s and downloaded one or two videos, but not to the system disk.

What was that? Is my machine dying? I did the following commands:
Code:
dmesg > dmesg.log
dmidecode > dmidecode.log
hdsentinel > hdsentinel.log
hwinfo > hwinfo.log
lspci -vvv -nn > lspci.log
smartctl -a /dev/sda > smartctl.log && smartctl -a /dev/sdb >> smartctl.log && smartctl -a /dev/sdc >> smartctl.log && smartctl -a /dev/sdd >> smartctl.log
and along with [c]boot.log[/c], [c]kern.log[/c], [c]messages[/c], [c]syslog[/c] in [c]/var/log[/c] i packed in and put it up there: http://oscomp.hu/depot/syslogs.zip

Can anyone tell me, how can find possible hardware faults in these logs? What to look, where to look, how to look...?

The OS is Devuan 4.

Thanks in advance...

Edit: [c]lshw.log[/c] added to the package.

Last edited by TCH; 1st February 2023 at 12:35 AM. Reason: lshw
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2023
Port Guard

I can't see anything that looks like a hardware failure in those logs.
Not being able to boot to the desktop can typically be a result of a dying hard disk where data is starting to get corrupted,but SMART reported perfect health for all of your hard drives.
If other hardware parts were defect,that would typically show other symptoms,like not starting at all,crashing completely after a short time or getting very hot.
If the system boots and only the desktop can't start,that's almost always related to either a wrong configuration (which is unlikely when the same config worked previously) or corrupted files (which can happen through software as well,doesn't always indicate a hardware issue).
If it happens again,try force-reinstalling Xorg and the important desktop components,or show me your Xorg.0.log.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st February 2023
Shell Scout

Thanks for checking my logs and the tips. Since then it did not happen again and i did not change anything. It was not an X11 problem, it hanged way before the X11 starting up and from recovery mode i instantly could run startx. I don't know what was it, but it's reassuring, that it was not a hardware failure. Perhaps Debian 11/Devuan 4 is unstable and this was a "hiccup".

Tags
fault, hardware