Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Administrator

Default SourceForge bars 5 nations from open source downloads

From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01...ess_filtering/

Quote:
Open-source code repository SourceForge.net has begun automatically blocking the internet addresses of users from countries such as Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Sudan, and Syria in an attempt to enforce a policy forbidding them from downloading free software.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Arp Constable

It's kind of the price of being located in the USA, big brother is always eyeing trade. The fact that most interesting software should be available from free download sides or piracy-sectors of the net, from beyond the reach of US legalities, not withstanding >_>.

They will just download it somewhere else, or sneak under the fence lol. In the USA, it's not uncommon for software EULAs (especially militainment) to make it a violation to break the EULA, and share it with anyone on certain lists of places/people the US has denied your right to trade with.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Daemonology student

I don't know what to say. They're hypocrites and a disgrace to the OSS community. What do they hope to achieve? That's just not right.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
More noise than signal

Call them hypocrites if you want, Beastie, but the fact is, what they hope to achieve is the avoidance of being brought up on charges by the US Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).

Quoting from the OFAC's website FAQ:
Quote:
The fines for violations can be substantial. Depending on the program, criminal penalties can include fines ranging from $50,000 to $10,000,000 and imprisonment ranging from 10 to 30 years for willful violations. Depending on the program, civil penalties range from $250,000 or twice the amount of each underlying transaction to $1,075,000 for each violation.
You can call them hypocrites, but this will keep the officers of Geeknet, Inc. out of trouble with US Treasury, and, out of trouble therefore, with the Securities and Exchange Commission, as they are a publicly traded company. And, in their last quarterly report, while they do not mention any pending litigation related to any regulatory action by OFAC or others, they do reference possible future regulatory action that could effect their e-commerce as a risk factor to their business. Regulation by US Treasury, such as that imposed by OFAC, or, the more common munitions restrictions such as US State's ITAR or EAR, were not mentioned.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Administrator

As mentioned in the blog, sourceforge, regrets that they had to take this step, but urge you to write to your congressman/senator about this.

This is affecting some of our members. For example Gag the graphical bootloader is hosted on http://gag.sourceforge.net/
We have two forum members from Iran, Vigol and mfaridi. So these will not be able to download GAG anymore, while Gag's developer is Spanish IIRC.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Spam Refugee

Mfaridi's base are belong to Afghanistan, I believe.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th January 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchDaemon View Post
Mfaridi's base are belong to Afghanistan, I believe.
Yes his nationality is Afghan, but from a few PM exchanges on bsdforums.org I know he works for a company in Iran, at least at that time
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2010
Knuth's homeboy

I haven't read the original article but in any case banning people from select countries from downloading free software is not cool at all.

This is off-topic but sometime back I was denied access to some forum because they had banned IP address originating from my Country.
Ok, so, I sort of understand why they did that but still it really pissed me off.
Sometimes you got to do it for practical reasons but to the person on the receiving end it feels like an insult.

Last edited by ephemera; 27th January 2010 at 08:47 AM.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th January 2010
Tcpdump Spy

No, it is not cool. But the US government feels that a trade embargo for these countries is in order, and this includes software.

As jggimi and the sourceforge article point out, getting sued is even less cool.

Your beef is with the US government, not with sourceforge ...
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpetsmoker View Post
No, it is not cool. But the US government feels that a trade embargo for these countries is in order, and this includes software.

As jggimi and the sourceforge article point out, getting sued is even less cool.

Your beef is with the US government, not with sourceforge ...
The trade embargo also applies to US citizens who buy products from these countries. If an American goes to Canada, buys boxes of Cuban cigars, then goes back through the border with cigars. They can get caught and be arrested for transporting banned items to USA.
Old 27th January 2010
More noise than signal

Actually, Cuban commerce falls under special regulation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_with_the_Enemy_Act

I know this because I live less than 2 KM from Canada, and used to enjoy cigars.

(No, I have never transported Cubanos over the border, but I have heard that one should not visit the Havana House in a vehicle with US plates.)

Last edited by jggimi; 27th January 2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 27th January 2010
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Actually, Cuban commerce falls under special regulation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trading_with_the_Enemy_Act

I know this because I live less than 2 KM from Canada, and used to enjoy cigars.

(No, I have never transported Cubanos over the border, but I have heard that one should not visit the Havana House in a vehicle with US plates.)
Oops. I was thinking of wrong thing. Thanks for the clarification.