DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2021
Port Guard

Default Help with *.core file?

Hello.

I recently re-installed FreeBSD after a long absence, and the process wasn't without incident. I have five large "*.core" files in my /home directory, which I assume are core dumps from system or app crashes.

How do I use these? I assume there is a way to use them to identify problems. None of these crashes caused my system to implode; I've been able to work around them so far. But I hope to avoid repeat performances.

I'm using FreeBSD 13.0 Stable. I've also installed gdb, which I've read can help with *.core files, but to be honest I don't know how to use it yet. I'm not a complete newbie, but this core dump thing is new territory for me.

Thanks,
RJPugh
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th December 2021
More noise than signal

These <program-name>.core files are copies of memory stored for a post-mortem analysis at the moment of a failure of <program-name>. If you are a programmer, these can be used to help determine a root cause for the failure. The Gnu Debugger -- gdb -- can read the .core file and the program's compiled binary file to produce helpful information. If you have the source code and compile the program with its symbol tables, you can use gdb to step through the program and .core file, line by line, and see values change in individual variables and CPU registers. See the gdb(1) man page and `$ info gdb` for more information.

If you are not a programmer, delete the .core files, they will not be of any use. You can set your shell to prevent these .core files from being saved at all, e.g. `$ ulimit -c 0`. See your shell's man page for more information.

Tags
*.core, freebsd, gdb