Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2023
Administrator

Default WhatsApp would not remove end-to-end encryption for UK law, says chief

From https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ne-safety-bill:
Quote:
WhatsApp would refuse to comply with requirements in the online safety bill that attempted to outlaw end-to-end encryption, the chat app’s boss has said, casting the future of the service in the UK in doubt.

Speaking during a UK visit in which he will meet legislators to discuss the government’s flagship internet regulation, Will Cathcart, Meta’s head of WhatsApp, described the bill as the most concerning piece of legislation currently being discussed in the western world.

He said: “It’s a remarkable thing to think about. There isn’t a way to change it in just one part of the world. Some countries have chosen to block it: that’s the reality of shipping a secure product. We’ve recently been blocked in Iran, for example. But we’ve never seen a liberal democracy do that.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2023
Fdisk Soldier

Other companies took a stance on encryption, namely Signal an Tutanota:
  1. Signal would 'walk' from UK if Online Safety Bill undermined encryption https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-64584001
  2. We will not 'walk out' of UK like Signal. Nor will we comply with any request to bypass our encryption. https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/uk-undermine-encryption
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2023
Package Pilot

If Whatsapp move their servers, offices and accounts outside of the UK, how will the UK enforce this ? The only way I can think of is the UK could force their Cell Phone providers to tack on a huge fee for people with that app.

Last edited by jmccue; 10th March 2023 at 01:59 PM. Reason: spelling
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2023
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccue View Post
If Whatsapp move their servers, offices and accounts outside of the UK, how will the UK enforce this ?
With DNS blocking maybe?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th March 2023
Spikes in tights

Location: perl -MMIME::Base64 -le 'print decode_base64("U2hlcndvb2QgRm9yZXN0")'

WhatsApp belongs to Facebook/Meta. You can bet that the NSA has special access to all WhatsApp communications, encrypted or not. Both the UK and the US are members of the Five Eyes intelligence alliance. I'm pretty sure, GCHQ can get the info they need one way or another.
From the wikipedia article on WhatsApp:
Quote:
FBI

In 2021, an FBI document obtained by Property of the People, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, through an FOIA request, reveals, that WhatsApp and iMessage are vulnerable to law-enforcement real-time searches.
Seems more like a publicity stunt on the side of Facebook/Meta
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2023
Administrator

IMHO this proposed bill just illustrates again the incompetence of the Tories. So the UK government computers will be administrated remotely with unencrypted telnet instead of encrypted ssh?

Just like they pushed for Brexit and never realizing the impact on the Northern-Ireland Good Friday agreement.
Another example is the Transport Secretary having to admit he did not know that so much from British imports arrived via Dover, resulting in miles long traffic jams of lorries which now had to be cleared by customs.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2023
Open Source Software user

The rich politicians have no idea about real life; & especially the multi millionaires, after all, none of it impacts on their lives!
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th March 2023
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
IMHO this proposed bill just illustrates again the incompetence of the Tories. So the UK government computers will be administrated remotely with unencrypted telnet instead of encrypted ssh?

Just like they pushed for Brexit and never realizing the impact on the Northern-Ireland Good Friday agreement.
Another example is the Transport Secretary having to admit he did not know that so much from British imports arrived via Dover, resulting in miles long traffic jams of lorries which now had to be cleared by customs.
Make no mistake about it, this kind of "safety" has an agenda behind it. It is about monitoring, quashing and/or subverting political dissent.

Brexit happened because a large percentage of people were manipulated through fearmonering and tapping into xenophobia. Now because of that establishment managed farce, we're all paying the price. The Tory government, is blame shifting, using covid and Ukraine, but in reality it's Brexit and close to 13 years of the Tories which has landed us in this mess.

It can only get worse. People were presented with an alternative some years ago but were swayed by slander and smear campaigns by the Tory press and Blairites within the Labour party - now the alternative is no better.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th April 2023
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvgit View Post
WhatsApp belongs to Facebook/Meta. You can bet that the NSA has special access to all WhatsApp communications, encrypted or not.
Apparently this is not clear since a global law enforcement coalition wants Meta to stop their project of making E2EE the default in Messenger and Instagram:

Global law enforcement coalition urges tech companies to rethink encryption plans that put children in danger from online abusers
Old 1st May 2023
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

Recently there was a thread here, concerning TIk-Tok's (check me on this) use of energy that might hamper the West's ability to create War material to support Ukraine's military position. This thread was removed because the Administrator thought that the discussion was becoming too political.
There is / was a base point of the subject in that because of the enormous energy consumption by Tik-Tok and the consequences of this in that area of the EU it would hamper war material production.
My point, concerning that thread was (in my opinion) "any" method to accomplish this is a good thing in that it might in some small way disrupt the ability of countries to produce things that kill humans. The thread was removed.
For Administrators: how is that discussion different from this one, that morphs into political discussion of Brexit and Torries? It does however have a base subject line as did the Tik-Tok discussion in that is starts off discussing encryption in the EU pro's and con's., but is morphing into a political position. This thread or discussion does not offend me, it informs me and differences of opinion helps me look at other peoples viewpoint. I become more educated or hardened in my own thinking.
Anyway my point here is if we are to apply a political standard to threads, then, this one meets the same criteria as the Tik-Tok one that was "retired".
Now I do have a suggestion, create a thread area similar to "Off Topic" or use that as a place where "threads" are placed that in the Administrators opinion are "Too Political".
In this way when threads tend to drift so to speak they can be retained in an area that is known to have drifted with "political bias or opinions".

If someone can tell the difference in reality between this thread and the Tik-Tok thread please enlighten me as all opinions are important to me.

It goes without saying that a certain decorum exists here that is maintained by the Administrators, That said it would certainly be appropriate if a thread was removed due to
language abuses, personal attacks, etc. We all have seen that recently (a post that personally attacked an Administrator as well as others trying to help) and most agree what we read and the action our Administrator took.

Thankyou:

Last edited by frcc; 1st May 2023 at 01:34 PM. Reason: clarity