DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2020
New User

Exclamation Can not Boot FreeBSD NetBSD in Bare Metal, UEFI

THE ORIGINAL POST WAS WRITTEN WITH ONLY NETBSD IN MIND, DESCRIBING ONLY NETBSD'S ISSUE. THEN LATER UPDATES INCLUDED THE SAME ISSUE WITH FREEBSD ALSO.
the original title was: "Can not Boot NetBSD 9.0 amd64 ISO or IMG in UEFI in Bare Metal".

i've previously successfully installed and ran "NetBSD-9.0-amd64.iso" in VirtualBox v6.1, in GPT partitioned disk, in their default BIOS configuration (Not their UEFI). that seemed to work OK.

Now in my Linux installation in Bare Metal, i'm using 'dd' in this format:
Code:
dd if=<file> of=<device> bs=1M; sync
But both the "NetBSD-9.0-amd64-uefi-install.img.gz" file (after extraction), and the "NetBSD-9.0-amd64.iso" file is failing to Boot in Bare Metal.
As for the "NetBSD-9.0-amd64.iso" file, after dd-ing to my USB Drive, nothing shows up in my motherboard's UEFI menu. As if it can't recognize it at all.

And dd-ing the "NetBSD-9.0-amd64-uefi-install.img.gz" file (after extraction), my motherboard's UEFI menu can recognize it. When i choose it, then comes the official NetBSD menu.
Gives me the option to either boot NetBSD, or go back to boot prompt.

After selecting to boot NetBSD, a little loading occurs, and then it gets stuck. Nothing comes after.
So how do i successfully load the NetBSD installer and run it in my Bare Metal?

~~~

UPDATE 1:
i tried writing the file "NetBSD-9.0-amd64-uefi-install.img.gz" to another USB Stick using 'Rawrite32' v1.0.8.0 from a Windows PC, that did not work in my PC either.

But, both of the USB Sticks (the previous one, and the new one) Booted OK in that (Windows) PC.
So, both Boots fine on that PC, but either does not work in mine - an issue with my UEFI firmware?

A little about my system: Gigabyte motherboard, intel Sandy Bridge CPU, American Megatrends BIOS (UEFI).
it's a pretty old system, so NetBSD probably should have good support for my hardwares.

i do not think i've configured the BIOS wrongly, because all the Linux amd64 OS runs fine in UEFI + GPT.
Does NetBSD 9.0 amd64 has any known issues with American Megatrends BIOS?

~~~

UPDATE 2:
at first i thought this to be a NetBSD (support) issue, now it seems FreeBSD too can't Boot either.

i dd-ed the file "FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img" to USB Stick using the command from the Handbook:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook...bsdinstall-usb
Code:
dd if=/my/path/to/FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=<DEVICE> bs=1M conv=sync
just like the case with NetBSD, my motherboard's UEFI menu can recognize the USB Stick. When i choose that, then the official FreeBSD menu loads.
After selecting the Default "Multi-User Boot", it shows the following error: (please see the taken photo)

https://ibb.co/KwYdBm8
https://i.ibb.co/Hd06RX9/freebsd-boot-error.jpg

https://postimg.cc/Q9VdFg75
https://i.postimg.cc/85mJntPy/freebsd-boot-error.jpg

So, i'm flawlessly using all the Linux amd64 OS in UEFI + GPT, but both the FreeBSD and NetBSD installers fails to even boot?!
Again, both the FreeBSD NetBSD USB Sticks boots normally in that (Windows) PC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg freebsd_boot_error.jpg (110.7 KB, 94 views)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2020
New User

Exclamation

in my motherboard's BIOS settings, i modified:
* "CSM support": changed from "Auto" to "Enabled".
* "Legacy USB support": changed from "Auto" to "Enabled".

Still both FreeBSD/NetBSD installers failed to boot in UEFI mode. the same issue still persists.
But, both boots fine in Legacy BIOS mode.

So i installed NetBSD 9.0 amd64 in Legacy BIOS mode, in a GPT disk. i'm currently running this.
i hope FreeBSD is gonna install OK too. i didn't install FreeBSD yet, just hoping that it'd work.

My questions are:
(1) Why both of the FreeBSD / NetBSD installers are failing to boot in UEFI mode?

(2) What's the major differences between running FreeBSD/NetBSD in UEFI mode VS Legacy BIOS mode? Specially, how much is it going to affect: bhyve / qemu-NVMM ? are certain functionalities of bhyve/qemu-NVMM going to be disabled because i'm running in Legacy BIOS mode?
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2020
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Have you tried disabling Secure Boot?

Most UEFI implementations will boot USB sticks that aren't Secure Boot compliant but some won't unless it is disabled.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2020
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_on_a_Stick View Post
Have you tried disabling Secure Boot?

Most UEFI implementations will boot USB sticks that aren't Secure Boot compliant but some won't unless it is disabled.

yes.
as far as i can find, Secureboot is not enabled.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st July 2020
Fdisk Soldier

Without Secure Boot it should actually boot, although whether it boots in UEFI mode sometimes depends on the image (and sometimes on the usb stick or flashing as well but dd should be fine). At least I can tell that the OpenBSD live system Fugulta boots from a usb stick in both Legacy and UEFI mode, as it's also stated on the website.
According to my understanding Secure Boot is for checking and verifying the boot code (whether they are signed by an accepted key), not sure if there is any checking by UEFI if Secure Boot is disabled.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th July 2020
New User

Hello. thank you @bradley for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley View Post
although whether it boots in UEFI mode sometimes depends on the image
the "FreeBSD-12.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img", or the "NetBSD-9.0-amd64-uefi-install.img.gz" should have worked in UEFI mode, but i'm failing to achieve that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley View Post
(and sometimes on the usb stick or flashing as well but dd should be fine).
As far as i've checked, that USB stick is fine; performs good.

Tags
firmware, freebsd, netbsd, uefi, usb