DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd October 2022
New User

Default Big BSD dilemma on Raspberry Pi 3

Hello Folks,

first of all a big Thanks for accepting me in this forum some weeks ago! This is my first post here. I am a FreeBSD user for many years now, I managed to live without Windows a long time ago. Only recently I have got a Raspberry Pi 3 in my hands and I started experimenting with different operating systems, including FreeBSD, of course.
First impression was that it works like a charm, but unfortunately, there is no audio support and no GPU acceleration, both vital if you want to use Kodi in order to turn your Raspi into a multimedia center.
On the other hand, there is also NetBSD, which does have support for audio and apparently also GPU hardware acceleration, BUT unfortunately does not have Kodi.
In the end, I am using Xbian for the moment in order to have Kodi working for watching movies and TV shows, as well as just listening to radio streams or mp3's.
Although the analog audio out of the Raspberry does not have a good reputation, I cannot concur: The sound I get connecting a minijack to chinch cable to an old Kenwood receiver with Magnat speakers is great!
So it is really worth it to turn your Raspberry into a multimedia center!

Having said that, in spite of all, I would still be able to use BSD. So what is more likely and realistic to see in the near future: To have audio and GPU hardware acceleration for FreeBSD or to have Kodi for NetBSD?
I don't know if there are any developers here in this forum who are Kodi fans like me and would like take the bull by the horns in one way or another?