Go Back   DaemonForums > DaemonForums.org > News

News News regarding BSD and related.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2023
Administrator

Default The tech pioneer behind Sound Blaster has passed away

From https://www.engadget.com/tech-pionee...151258136.html:
Quote:
Singaporean inventor and tech pioneer Sim Wong Hoo passed away on January 4th at the age of 67. Sim may not be a household name these days, but he founded Creative Technology (or Creative Labs in the US), the company behind the Sound Blaster brand of sound cards, back in 1981. Sound Blasters were some of the first sound cards available to consumers, and there was a time when you had to make sure your system worked with them if you wanted to listen to music and play games.

Sim established his business in the US and started selling Sound Blasters a few years later, after which Creative became the first Singaporean company to be listed on the Nasdaq exchange. The integration of sound boards into the motherboard ended Sound Blaster's popularity, but Bloomberg says the cards provided audio for more than 400 million PCs.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2023
Open Source Software user

Sorry to hear that, & quite young; his were THE standard for sound cards, & was my first experience of sound on a computer....R.I.P.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2023
Spam Deminer

RIP

I'm old enough to remember the SB16 and it's integrated IDE controller, for connecting an optical drive. There was a time where soundblaster was pretty much an essential. I still recall old MSDOS games where you had select to the sound card type and IRQ from a menu.
Quote:
The integration of sound boards into the motherboard ended Sound Blaster's popularity, but Bloomberg says the cards provided audio for more than 400 million PCs.
I have to disagree with that somewhat. Quite a few factors killed Creative's market dominance, not just onboard sound. I would cite, among other things, failing to compete with "professional" sound solutions (Terratec, etc), buggy drivers, some of the worst, crashiest bloatware and overpricing and a lack of any real focus. I think most of the damage was done back in the "Audigy" era, with a lot of misleading marketing and re-badging of products.