DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th April 2022
Port Guard

Default How to install using custom partition scheme

Hi,

I am trying to install OpenBSD in a VM. My host is giving me 10G of SSD for the OS, 500G of spinning disk for data.

I going to have to mount /var on the spinning disk using iscsid (iscsi,conf). Any idea how this can be done during install? Or am I going to have to move /var later?

Edit: Apologies for posting this in "General" and not "Installation and Upgrading". I don't know how to move this thread.

Last edited by pseudostem; 25th April 2022 at 12:41 PM. Reason: wrong forum
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2022
More noise than signal

You will not be able to establish your NAS connection during install. The RAMDISK kernel bsd.rd does not have iSCSI services available. You must provision after first boot.

If I was the admin, I would create a /var partition on the SSD as normal. After first boot I would provision the NAS separately -- using a directory structure under whatever management structure makes sense, such as /iscsi/ or /var/iscsi/ or /var/nas/ or /var/slow/. I could instead (or also) migrate an existing structure such as /var/www/ to the NAS after first boot.