DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th February 2010
Fdisk Soldier

Default Enabling an "All-in-One" Printer/Scanner/Fax on OBSD

Greetings:

I've been looking into getting my "All in One", a Brother MFC I bought several years ago. I had a Fedora/WinXP dual boot arrangement at the time, so I didn't need to access some of the features (e.g., Print by Fax) while on Linux.

I've been sending faxes the old fashioned way (since I needed to send signed documents); but wouldn't mind accessing some of the firmware interfaces I had on Windows.

Brother has a "Driver" section for their devices (bugged them a bit about making them avail for Linux) - w/Lpr and CUPS wrappers
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com.../en/index.html
which may work under the fedora-base pkg.

However, this is OBSD - so - I've looked around a bit; and found a few packages that might allow me to run several features (Scanning and Faxing) on OBSD. I don't have much of a hardcopy load to justify buying inkjet cartridges whenever they dry up , so I'd like to take a 2 Part (Scanner, then Fax) approach to see what I can do with this All-in-One.

Starting w/SCANNERS:
I've seen sane-backends, sane-frontends, xsane
I pkg_added them; but xsane can't seem to locate my All-in-One, though it's listed in the "Compatible Devices" Directory at the SANE site.

Scanned the Manual
http://www.sane-project.org/man/sane.7.html
Read that a bit; and understand the libusb is used (and was included in the pkg_add) to access USB based scanners. Noticed that OBSD is still referencing uscanner(4) when I ran "sane-find-scanner -v", though.

Per Readme.OpenBSD for the sane-backends package:
"Make sure your user has read/write access to the scanner device
(e.g. /dev/uscanner0) or you will not be able to scan.

* USB
With some USB backends, the OpenBSD uscanner(4) driver does not support
getting USB vendor and product ids. To make your scanner work with sane,
you'll have to disable uscanner(4) in your kernel - see config(8) -
which will allow libusb to claim your device instead. When using libusb,
you need read/write permissions to ugen(4) (/dev/ugen*.*) and the usb(4)
controller (/dev/usb*) your scanner is connected to (consider using
hotplugd(8) attach and detach scripts)."

I don't have any /dev/uscanner* device directories, only /dev/ugen*.*, so methinks sane-find-scanner -v may be inappropriate for OBSD.

From what I 've read so far, I think I need to do the following:
1) Alter the config file (seen only linux versions - need to look for the OBSD location) to include the "usb VENDOR PRODUCT" entry for my All-in-One (Listed on the SANE site) in the "backends" config file (somewhere - Linux version is explained in text; and it's getting late...)

2) My usb connection to the All-in-One doesn't come up on the dmesg. I had problems with my USB before on another thread, where I was advised to modify and recompile the kernel after disabling echi:
http://www.daemonforums.org/showthre...ighlight=drive

3) Get user acct access to ugen and usb drivers per Readme.OpenBSD and Sane Manual.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks.