DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2022
Shell Scout

Default USB to Ethernet adapter recommendation please

Greetings all,

I upgraded OpenBSD 7.0 to 7.1, and tested whether my issue with the USB to Ethernet adapter, containing ASIX AX88772B chip, might have been resolved, but alas no.

Since the device itself works, as tested on FreeBSD, it appears the the man-page claiming support for the chip via axe0 driver is in error.

I was thus wondering if anybody could recommend a USB to Ethernet adapter that is supported by OpenBSD, so that I avoid buying another piece of hardware that will not work.

Kindest regards,

M
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2022
Administrator

mefisto is referring to http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=11968 , where he posted about the problem with the OpenBSD axe(4) driver.

As stated in that OpenBSD man page:
Quote:
The axe driver was written by Bill Paul and ported to OpenBSD by Greg Taleck
Bill Paul is the person who wrote many of the FreeBSD Ethernet drivers. From the FreeBSD man page axe(4):
Quote:
The axe driver was written by Bill Paul
Because it works on FreeBSD and looks like a bug in the OpenBSD port of the FreeBSD driver.

You could try to contact the OpenBSD porter Greg Taleck. Or post your problem on the OpenBSD misc mailing list (with complete dmesg output)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd July 2022
Shell Scout

Hi J65nko,

thank you for the reply.

The intent of using the adapter, that I acquired a while ago, was to provide a laptop with two Ethernet ports, to test whether I could move Internet interfacing functionality, e.g., firewall, caching DNS resolver, SOCKs proxy, and the like, to a stand-alone computer, before investing in final, better suited hardware.

Since the AX88772B chip supports only 10/100 Ethernet MAC, I though that it might be better to just buy a modern adapter instead of bothering the developer to fix a problem with (mostly) obsolete technology.

Kindest regards,

M