DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2022
Shell Scout

Default Separate filter rules for two ethernet devices

If i have two ethernet devices, say rl0 and msk0 and i would like to block all incoming traffic on all ports, except port 80 and 443, but only on msk0, then is that possible?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2022
More noise than signal

With PF, because it is "last matching rule wins," I find it easiest to start with the most general rule first, then work my way to more specific rules.

If I've understood your use case correctly, something like this:
Code:
block in all
pass in proto tcp to (msk0) port {80 443}
  • With TCP and UDP, every packet has two port numbers: a destination port number where a service is listening, and that's what we always think of when we think of ports -- but there is also a source port number used by the initiating system.
  • In PF, you can filter on either port number.
  • Destination port numbers follow the destination IP address, which follows after "to".
  • There is an implied "from any port any" in front of the "to" in this second rule. And "port any" isn't correct syntax, but if you don't specify a source port then any source port will match.

Last edited by jggimi; 11th July 2022 at 12:45 PM. Reason: syntax clarity
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2022
Shell Scout

Thanks, so this has to go into pf.conf?

Also, will not this block all on rl0 too? I only would like to block everything on msk0 and apply no filter on rl0.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2022
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCH View Post
Thanks, so this has to go into pf.conf?
Yes, the default PF configuration file is /etc/pf.conf.
Quote:
Also, will not this block all on rl0 too? I only would like to block everything on msk0 and apply no filter on rl0.
It is very easy for us to misunderstand one another, which is why I started with the caveat about understanding your use case. I'd interpreted your first post above as blocking all inbound traffic except the two destination ports on msk0. To block all incoming traffic only on msk0, revise the first line accordingly:
Code:
block in on msk0
pass in proto tcp to (msk0) port {80 443}
For more information on configuring PF, you should start with the PF User's Guide.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2022
Shell Scout

First i was going to say that, but i have explicitedly said, that "but only on msk0", but you're actually right, my statement can be interpreted either as "block everything, but enable 80 and 440 on msk0", or as "block everything on msk0, but 80 and 440".

Anyway, thank you very much, that will perfectly do it.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2022
Shell Scout

BTW, this will work, even if msk0 is PPPoE, right?
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2022
More noise than signal

An empty PF configuration file will pass all traffic on all interfaces, as if you'd provisioned a single rule containing the two words pass all. So absent any other rules, the most recent example will pass all traffic on all interfaces except msk0.

The most general rule is the first, blocking all incoming traffic on the msk0 interface. All outgoing traffic already passes.

The second rule is more fine-grained, and passes traffic to destination ports 80/443, if the destination address is any of the addresses assigned to the msk0 interface. Internally, there are individual rules for each address, which can be seen with # pfctl -sr.

The parentheses around the interface will cause PF to adjust the internal rule list any time the address list changes, such as may happen with dynamic auto-configuration with SLAAC / IPv6 or DHCP / IPv4.

Last edited by jggimi; 11th July 2022 at 03:58 PM. Reason: clarity
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2022
Shell Scout

Thank you for the detailed explanation. However this is not entirely clean to me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
The second rule is more fine-grained, and passes traffic to destination ports 80/443, if the destination address is any of the addresses assigned to the msk0 interface.
This applies to PPPoE devices too, right?
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th July 2022
More noise than signal

I have no direct experience with PPPoE. My understanding is that you would write your filtering rules for the pppoe(4) pseudo-NIC, and not for the encapsulating Ethernet NIC. The latter doesn't even need an IP address.
Old 11th July 2022
Shell Scout

I see, thanks.
Old 11th July 2022
More noise than signal

If using PPPoE, be sure to read about MTU/MSS size limitations in the pppoe(4) man page.
Old 13th July 2022
Shell Scout

I will.

BTW, i think i got something wrong about PPPoE; can /etc/netstart "launch" a device which is configured as PPPoE in /etc/hostname.msk0?
Old 13th July 2022
Administrator

I never had to use PPPOE either. But pppoe(4) says that your /etc/hostname.msk0 should only contain the word 'up'.
The /etc/hostname.pppoe0 should contain pppoedev msk0

So # /etc/netstart pppoe0 should do it.
Shell Scout

I see, thanks. So, that was i was doing wrong: putting the PPPoE credentials to the wrong file.