DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd September 2019
Spam Deminer

Default files cannot be used because of Invalid argument

Only one issue let to solve before having a perfectly running system.

File names that begin with Chinese and Japanese appear in a console as ?????? and "do not exist." A graphical file manager displays the titles in red in Chinese and Japanese, but cannot be opened, copied to hard-drive or handled in any way because the files are
Code:
Error: Invalid argument
It happens with all file types: .odt, text files, .avi, mp4, etc. It is not a language problem. I copied some music to the hard-drive and two songs with English titles are also invalid arguments. There are no problems with any of the files on OpenBSD, Linux and Windows. I have not yet used a computer at work to change a title and test to see if FreeBSD can see it after the change.

My guess is it is a problem with encoding. If so, the solution might be as simple as installing an additional encoding package. The problem with that is there are many such packages and I have no idea which one I would need.