DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Packages and Ports

OpenBSD Packages and Ports Installation and upgrading of packages and ports on OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2021
New User

Default OpenSMTP / Dovecot Debugging

Hello,

after upgrading to OpenBSD 7.0 via sysupgrade(8), my clients (notebook and smartphone) can't connect to my mail server anymore.

smtpd is running and so is dovecot. I checked my letsencrypt certificate and it is valid. In /var/log/maillog I can't find any clues ("info OpenSMTPD 7.0.0 starting" and some random connections - not my clients - failing with "smtp failed-command command="" result="550 no rDNS is so 80s"").

I will try to connect to my server via OpenSSL to maybe get some hints but would be very grateful for ideas how to find out what's wrong.

I set up the configuration on OpenBSD 6.9 following the awesome article by Gilles Chehade.

Thank you very much!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2021
New User

I just tried to connect via:

Code:
openssl s_client -showcerts -connect <name>:993 -servername <name>
and got:

Code:
CONNECTED(00000005)
write:errno=54
---
no peer certificate available
---
No client certificate CA names sent
---
SSL handshake has read 0 bytes and written 0 bytes
---
New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)
Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
No ALPN negotiated
SSL-Session:
    Protocol  : TLSv1.2
    Cipher    : 0000
    Session-ID: 
    Session-ID-ctx: 
    Master-Key: 
    Start Time: 1635498810
    Timeout   : 7200 (sec)
    Verify return code: 0 (ok)
---
Could it be a permissions problem? In /etc/letsencrypt/live/<name>/ if have:
Code:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   37 Sep  9 20:54 cert.pem -> ../../archive/<name>/cert1.pem
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   38 Sep  9 20:54 chain.pem -> ../../archive/<name>/chain1.pem
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   42 Sep  9 20:54 fullchain.pem -> ../../archive/<name>/fullchain1.pem
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   40 Sep  9 20:54 privkey.pem -> ../../archive/<name>/privkey1.pem
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th October 2021
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smh1 View Post
...result="550 no rDNS...
Check that your server is able to resolve domain names correctly. One change for OpenBSD 7.0 is that it runs resolvd(8) by default, now.

Edited to add:

The only local resolver daemon that is integrated with resolvd is unwind(8). If you are using a local resolver such as unbound(8), you'll either need to provision its use through unwind or disable resolvd.

And just to complicate things a little further, dhclient(8) was replaced with dhcpleased(8), and this changes how IPv4 autoconfiguration is managed, too. If you use DHCP, there may be some edge cases where dhclient may still be needed instead of dhcpleased. If so, this can be manually provisioned in hostname.if(5) with "!dhclient ..."

Last edited by jggimi; 29th October 2021 at 01:31 PM.