DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th November 2020
Port Guard

Default Sysupgrade vs fresh installation

An observation about OpenBSD installations after running:
- On my desktop (x86_64): sysupgrade twice with a fresh installation in between (sysupgrade 6.5 => 6.6, new 6.7, then sysupgrade 6.7 => 6.8)
- On my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB: new 6.8

A really nice thing with OpenBSD is, once you've got the important steps down and the information handy, both sysupgrade and new installation go quickly compared to most (all?) other desktop OSs.

If you have as simple single-user desktop OS installations as I do, with very few non-default options chosen during installation and just a handful of packages added, and so few manual modifications to .conf files, and relatively few user files, there is little to no time savings to running sysupgrade vs a new installation, assuming you back up and copy back all relevant user and conf files.

I learned a couple of things running sysupgrade and the followup actions, but not much, as there really wasn't that much needed.

I expect the more changes from and additions to a base installation you do, the bigger the time savings.

That is probably beyond obvious for power users, but as a very light-duty user so far, this has only become apparent to me after running sysupgrade a couple of times.

TKS