DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2014
New User

Smile Hi! Old man noob here

Hi and thank you for letting me join this forum!

I hope you can tolerate a noob - I'll be honest - I'm completely new to unix varients but who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?!

My questions are probably very silly but I've come stuck with my learning of this awesome operating system

I've been reading so many FAQs and so many man pages and tutorials now I decided to join here and see if anyone can give me a shove start

I just need to know the commands to access and view the CD-ROM drive.

I know about LS and mount but nothing I've tried has worked. I tried
mount cd0
mount /dev/cd0/

Ive tried all sorts but I can't seem to mount and access the DVD-rom drive!

I know the LS commands and have tried searching everywhere but can't find it I bought the OpenBSD 3CD set. So what I wanted to do was have a look what packages are on it because I still havn't got the internet working.

I know about LYNX but when I install openbsd I tried using DCHP to configure internet access but it hasn't worked

My next try will be to use ifconfig and to do it manually but Ive never done it before so I may be back here asking questions.

I hope you don't mind a noob being here as I'm very happy to join a forum and learning this new operating system!
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2014
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

Your post appears to have been started in the wrong subforum, as you mentioned OpenBSD and this is a FreeBSD subforum. I'm sure one of the admins will move it shortly.
Quote:
I've been reading so many FAQs and so many man pages and tutorials
I'd be careful about any information obtained from unofficial sources, as it often out of date or misleading in other ways. If you do use information obtained from such sources ... including this site ... please verify it with official documentation: the FAQ and the applicable man pages. Yes, it is a lot of reading.
Quote:
I just need to know the commands to access and view the CD-ROM drive.
With OpenBSD, devices are named by device type, then a number. Mass storage devices, such as hard drives, also append a partition letter. This is also true with optical devices. So for CDs or DVDs with filesystems on them, you must include a partition letter. With OpenBSD, partition "c" is reserved and is always used when you wish to address the entire drive. Therefore, to mount a CD or DVD that contains a standard CD filesystem (CD9660) from your first (or only) optical drive, and attach it to the "/mnt" directory structure, you would issue:

# mount /dev/cd0c /mnt

Please note that the "#" above is a convention directing the admin to issue the command as the superuser, or "root". It is best practice to avoid logging on as root, using either sudo(8) or su(1) to issue superuser commands or obtain a root shell.
Quote:
I tried using DCHP to configure internet access but it hasn't worked
We could help, if we knew what commands you had issued and their results. Since we can't see over your shoulder as you make those attempts, we can only use the information you provide. In general, for wired connections, all you need is:

# dhclient <NIC>

But recognizing your device among the devices listed in the output of an ifconfig command can be daunting for the new user. Note that wireless networks require a little more work. Let us know more details about your issue, and we may be able to provide more assistance.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2014
OpenBSD language porter

This might sound odd and nitpicky, but I promise that it's not: try to avoid capitalizing commands like LS and LYNX. They're somewhat jarring to read. Part of entering any new group is learning its culture. Commands are lowercased, and you will see others reference commands and other parts of the OS like this:
ls(1)

This tells you that if you need to learn more, you can issue:
$ man 1 ls
to read the man page for that item. The forum is nice enough to have BB code linking to the online man pages. The standard item(man section) format also helps make certain things unambiguous. For example, if you had a question about sysctl, the reader might be confused as to whether you're talking about sysctl(3) or sysctl(8). It also helps others get up to speed with what you're talking about (hey - we can't always know everything all the time ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrus View Post
My next try will be to use ifconfig and to do it manually but Ive never done it before so I may be back here asking questions.
If you have a wired connection, you can do what jggimi suggested:
# dhclient <NIC>
but once you know that it works, you should then issue the following:
# echo "dhcp" >> /etc/hostname.<NIC>
as you will then get an IP address at boot time for future reboots automatically.

jggimi is also right in saying wifi is more difficult.

If you could supply a dmesg(8) log here, that would be ideal. Or if you could guess at your NIC (the dmesg(8) output usually gives some clues, like a MAC address) that will help too.