DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2021
Port Guard

Default X & Browser performance on Raspberry Pi 4b, 8GB

Hi,

I'm running OpenBSD 6.9 ARM64 on a Raspberry Pi 4b, 8GB off a USB3 (without SD card). For whatever reason X is very slow compared to X on Raspberry Pi OS.

This is my first time trying X on any platform and X terminology is very new to me. Tried using both xenodm (xsession) and slim (xinitrc).

1) Xorg consumes a lot of processor on xfce, lxde and mate.
2) I am ok without a DE and can do with icewm. However, browser (firefox) keeps crashing on heavy pages. I can't use dillo, surf, etc. as my wife would not prefer those. I'm unsure of chromium from ports as I believe Raspi OS uses a heavily customised chromium source for performance and I'm not too inclined to spend a week on this.

Anyone here who uses X on raspberry pi successfully? Does this have something to do with 32bit GPU and/or drivers and/or 64bit OS? Will a 32 bit ARM OpenBSD perform better on Raspberry Pi 4b?

Any help pointing me in the right direction appreciated. Marc.info and websearch didn't yield too many results.

Thanks,
Pseudostem
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th June 2021
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

I don't have that device but I would be very surprised if the Broadcom video card was supported by anything other than VESA (software) driver in OpenBSD.

Please post the dmesg(8) output (or upload it to https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi and share a link here) and also share the content of the X.Org log. Thanks.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th July 2021
Port Guard

Thank you for your response. I couldn't respond earlier due to COVID situation where I live.

I have since moved on to x86-64. Raspberry pi has pretty bad performance even on their own OS/distro. The performance compared to OpenBSD is much better, but even small things like signing into "Gmail" are a challenge. I still have the Pi lying around. I will post the dmesg by the weekend just in case someone later has any interest in the topic.