DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 27th July 2022
Administrator

Default Windows 10 backup options

How do you all backup the Windows computer of your family members or kids?

On my OpenBSD box I use tarsnap
But to use that on the Windows box of my wife, you will have to install Cygwin, But I don't want to install it on an already aging nearly full 500GB disk.

I am also looking into Amazon S3/glacier as backup option. Does anybody experience with that?

When googling for Amazon S3 for Windows I came across a reference to https://winscp.net/eng/index.php that seems to have S3 support.

WinSCP would also give me the opportunity to backup the Windows files to Open/FreeBSD first and probably would be faster than via the internet to Amazon S3.

PS When searching the OpenBSD ports tree at https://openports.pl/path/sysutils/rclone
found an OpenBSD port of rclone Also looks interesting .....

Questions, questions .... Any answers, experiences?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th August 2022
Tcpdump Spy

I haven't seriously used Windows for over a decade, but one way to get tarsnap working for your wife may be to share/expose the drive over SMB, mount that on your OpenBSD box with Samba, and run tarsnap from there.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2022
Administrator

20 years ago it was quite simple to use Samba and Windows. But now the first thing the Samba docs are talking about is a domain controller. And I don't think Windows 10 home edition can function as a domain controller
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th August 2022
Administrator

Hmm, I just found this: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Set...ndalone_Server
Quote:
Introduction

In small networks, such as a home network, or to share folders on a host that is not part of a domain, you often do not want to set up an Active Directory or NT4 domain.

The following documentation describes how to set up a Samba standalone server providing:
  • a share that is accessible anonymously (guest access).
  • a share that requires authentication against a local user database on the Samba host.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th August 2022
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J65nko View Post
20 years ago it was quite simple to use Samba and Windows. But now the first thing the Samba docs are talking about is a domain controller. And I don't think Windows 10 home edition can function as a domain controller
I don't think you need any of that; you can "share" (as Windows calls it) a drive or directory and mount it on the OpenBSD box with samba or FUSE (e.g. sysutils/usmb).

I only have a Windows 10 (Pro) QEMU VM I use for testing, but I can go to the "Sharing" tab in the properties on any directory to set stuff up. You can also use `net share` from the command prompt. You can even enable SSH from the settings on Windows nowadays and you've got OpenSSH:

Code:
% nc localhost 9923
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.1
^C

% ssh windows
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.1826]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

martin@WINDOWS-PUV3U0J C:\Users\martin>
Running a windows cmd.exe shell on my Linux laptop is certainly an odd experience, but it actually works quite well.

I usually run my Windows machine headless and use it only for "go test" from ssh. If the amount of data isn't that large, you can sync things with scp, which I what I do to sync the code.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th August 2022
Administrator

Thanks, I found a document how to set up Windows file sharing without setting up a domain.

More than 20 years ago I used to backup my wife's stuff on her DrDOS machine with Lan Manager, which supported the SMB protocol. At that time this book was very helpful: https://www.amazon.com/Samba-Black-B.../dp/1576104559

A few days ago I installed FreeBSD 13.1 on an USB stick and happened to see FreeBSD has a nsmb.conf(5) file in /etc/