DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General Hardware

General Hardware General hardware related questions.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th April 2015
Port Guard

Default ASRock Q1900-ITX, pcie sata 3, 4 ports, freeBSD

I am searching for some pcie sata 3 card with 4 ports that will not make me problems with freebsd or bad performances... the raid is not needed as i will use zfs zraid...

Any suggestions?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 25th April 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

You need a HBA ("Host Bus Adapter") not a crappy Windows pcie SATA controller. You can get top quality LSI 9211-8i HBA on e-bay for about $100 directly from manufactures from China. I bought several for my lab.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...1-8i+&_sacat=0

BTW that motherboard comes with 4 SATA 2x3MB/s and 2x6MB/s but as you discovered that is a crappy desktop motherboard. You will need to shell at least $150 for a decent motherboard if you want to run ZFS.

BTW You can get embedded Mini ITX boards from under $35 from NewEgg if you want to run DragonFly and use HAMMER instead.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2015
Port Guard

Thank you for proposal, i will look into it, but i think you are shooting too high... i just want 4 more ports to match those two 6 Gb/s sata ports on mb (afaik, 1Gb/s is 128MB/s, meaning 768MB/s).

I was running dfy and hammer like two years back and got data corruption, after talking to Matt looks like it was a bug but well, it is kind a too much bleeding edge for me (although, i love hammer! The only downside is that you still need to use volume groups while zfs has it integrated)

For my needs that motherboard is ok and since i was running ZFS quite successfully on DN2800MT motherboard untill now, i wont be bother with this one (the cpu was bored at 2% most of the time). This is going to be NAS for home network, and i dont need some blazing performances, so it is fine...

Last edited by irukandji; 26th April 2015 at 06:54 AM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by irukandji View Post
Thank you for proposal, i will look into it, but i think you are shooting too high... i just want 4 more ports to match those two 6 Gb/s sata ports on mb (afaik, 1Gb/s is 128MB/s, meaning 768MB/s).

I was running dfy and hammer like two years back and got data corruption, after talking to Matt looks like it was a bug but well, it is kind a too much bleeding edge for me (although, i love hammer! The only downside is that you still need to use volume groups while zfs has it integrated)

For my needs that motherboard is ok and since i was running ZFS quite successfully on DN2800MT motherboard untill now, i wont be bother with this one (the cpu was bored at 2% most of the time). This is going to be NAS for home network, and i dont need some blazing performances, so it is fine...
This is very interesting post! Thank you for writing up that thing. I am sorry I can't help you more than that. I run ZFS only at work and I have above HBA or better on all my production servers.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th April 2015
Port Guard

A osim toga, pozdrav iz Slovenije...