DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > NetBSD > NetBSD Installation and Upgrading

NetBSD Installation and Upgrading Have trouble getting NetBSD on your toaster?

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2017
Multi-OS Guy

Default Failed to load module "qxl" (module requirement mismatch)

I've installed NetBSD 7.0.1 in a KVM virtual machine under libvirt on a Fedora 25 Linux host.

I want to use spice, so i specified the requisite "qxl" graphic in the virtual machine then installed xf86-video-qxl-0.1.4nb1 with pkgin in the NetBSD guest.

But both /var/log/xdm.log and /var/log/Xorg.0.log complained that they couldn't find the "qxl" module. Then I realized they were looking in /usr/X11R7/lib/modules but the qxl package put it in /usr/pkg/lib/xorg/modules. To solve that, I manually added a symbolic link. And indeed, that solved the "not found" problem. (But why the two directories???)

Now they complain that it's the wrong driver. Both xdm.log and Xorg.0.log gripe:
Code:
(EE) module ABI major version (20) doesn't match the server's version (10)
(EE) Failed to load module "qxl" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
Why are things out of sync in the NetBSD code base? How can anyone get X to work?

What can I do to solve this?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2017
old timer

The edition of X11 in the base distribution is not the same as pkgsrc. pkgsrc is usually newer, because it can track upstream much faster.

Add X11_TYPE=modular to your /etc/mk.conf, and rebuild X, and you'll be able to use the qxl drivers.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th January 2017
Multi-OS Guy

Thank you. I was coming to that conclusion, but that doesn't seem to be a complete answer.

File /etc/rc.d/xdm has this line:
command="/usr/X11R7/bin/${name}"

Apparently the directory in that and other files should be changed to "/usr/pkg/lib/xorg", but the "xdm" package I installed with pkgin doesn't modify or replace that file. It seems like it MUST be changed to get the modular version of xdm (/usr/pkg/bin/xdm) started at boot instead of the base version (/usr/X11R7/bin/xdm).

When I installed NetBSD, I selected a full installation from the menu instead of full minus X. So now how can I remove the base X files? A four-year old wiki page says to execute "pkg_delete -r x11-links", but that command returns:
pkg_delete: No matching package for basename `x11-links' of `x11-links'

I'm fumbling my way though the pkg_ commands looking for a way to show what the basename for X is and how I can uninstall it. I'm thinking of wiping the disk and reinstalling with the minus-X option, but that's time consuming with no guarantee it will work.

BTW, I like the "pkgin" command and the pre-compiled packages. But there remains a confusing mishmash of base and pkgsrc commands that are non-obviously orthogonal or mutually exclusive or redundant.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th January 2017
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJackson View Post
Thank you. I was coming to that conclusion, but that doesn't seem to be a complete answer.

File /etc/rc.d/xdm has this line:
command="/usr/X11R7/bin/${name}"

Apparently the directory in that and other files should be changed to "/usr/pkg/lib/xorg", but the "xdm" package I installed with pkgin doesn't modify or replace that file. It seems like it MUST be changed to get the modular version of xdm (/usr/pkg/bin/xdm) started at boot instead of the base version (/usr/X11R7/bin/xdm).

When I installed NetBSD, I selected a full installation from the menu instead of full minus X. So now how can I remove the base X files? A four-year old wiki page says to execute "pkg_delete -r x11-links", but that command returns:
pkg_delete: No matching package for basename `x11-links' of `x11-links'

I'm fumbling my way though the pkg_ commands looking for a way to show what the basename for X is and how I can uninstall it. I'm thinking of wiping the disk and reinstalling with the minus-X option, but that's time consuming with no guarantee it will work.

BTW, I like the "pkgin" command and the pre-compiled packages. But there remains a confusing mishmash of base and pkgsrc commands that are non-obviously orthogonal or mutually exclusive or redundant.
If you want to remove the complete X sets from installation, see this: https://ezunix.org/index.php?title=R...SD_base_system.
I used it some years ago, and worked for me.

Also you have to take into account that if you change your X packages from installation to modular with pkgsrc. You MUST install any X related package, as xdm, from pkgsrc instead from binary packages, because binary ones were created with the standard X from installation, that is the reason that xdm obtained from pkgin doesn't point to your X location.
Of course you have to keep the line X11_TYPE=modular in your /etc/mk.conf in order the built packages to work.

Tags
abi, kvm, module, qxl