DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th October 2021
New User

Default Error during userland build to stable with 2.9

Hello everyone,

I would appreciate any help with this. The message title says it all. I have included the error as an attachemnt.

I know it is an old version, but it should build(?).

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt errMAKE-BUILD.txt (9.1 KB, 33 views)
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2021
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

Support for OpenBSD 2.9 ended nearly 20 years ago. The last errata patch was published in 2002. You won't get any assistance from the OpenBSD Project for this particular effort.

If you are rebuilding 2.9-stable from source, then perhaps all of the "Duplicate Entry..." errors indicate some sort of problem with your local source tree. If that guess is right, then it should be recoverable by recreating your source tree and running your build again.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2021
More noise than signal

Replying again to note that 2.9-stable builds were only ever supported being built from 2.9 (-release or -stable). If you are attempting to build 2.9 from a non-2.9 platform, then this is yet another way to introduce build problems.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2021
New User

Thank you for your reply.

I am attempting the rebuild from an OpenBSD-2.9 install.

I download the source files then update using cvsup and a supfile. It seems this is no longer the recommended way. Just to inform, within the last couple of weeks I have successfully built 3.2 using this method.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2021
New User

jg.gimi, I meant to add, I am going to follow up on your suggestion of possible corrupted source code. Thanks again.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2021
New User

In order to establish a baseline, I downloaded the src.tar.gz & srcsys.tar.gz sources. Without updating them, I rebuilt my kernel and userland. All went well with no errors.

Just to inform, my PC specs are: (CPU) Intel Pentium II, 350MHz. (Motherboard) Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2. (Chipset) Intel 82440BX/ZX. (Memory) 768MD SDRAM. (BIOS) Phoenix PCI PNP (08/17/00). (Video) ATI 3D-Rage Pro 8MB memory. (Monitor) Dell SE198WFP. (Master HDD) Seagate ST380011A. (Slave HDD) Seagate ST3160023A. (DVD) HP DVD Writer 1040d. (Ethernet) 3Com 3C905-TX Fast Etherlink XL 10/100 Adapter.

This is a secondary computer to tinker with. Some of the hardware is newer, but I love this old machine. It takes just shy of 14 minutes to build the kernel and 154 minutes to build userland.

Now my next task is to update sources and rebuild w/o error.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2021
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssgs View Post
It seems this is no longer the recommended way.
Looking through OpenBSD's website commit logs, I can see that CVSup services began eroding more than 11 years ago as the various sup servers that provided the protocol were taken down, one at a time or in groups. And, due to architectural limitations, CVSup remained i386-only. Looking at the ports tree commit logs, I can see that eventually, the port/package was deleted from the tree.

I can't tell if CVSup caused the problem. But I'm surprised there are any CVS mirrors still providing sup services.

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/www/Attic/cvsup.html

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cv...Attic/Makefile
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th October 2021
New User

I have attached my supfile with includes the web address for the site.
Attached Files
File Type: txt supfile.txt (510 Bytes, 28 views)
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th October 2021
New User

I ran make build again after updating the sources. I noticed a few errors in stdout that were not included in my designated error file. It seems the syntax varies from shell to shell. So I decided to include both stdout and stderr to the error file. That worked, it got everything.

I have included it as an attachment. I converted the file from unix to dos format for reading in Windows. It tops out at 11,889 lines, weighing 2.23MB. Applying gzip it comes in at 181KB.

The relevant bits can be found at:

Lines 4,626 to 4,748 are the, “Duplicate entry in file … Second entry ignored“ errors.

Line 11,876 is the, “don't know how to make mdc2dgst.c. Stop in /usr/src/lib/libssl/obj/crypto.” error.

Lines 11,879 to 11,888 are the other errors that were not making it into the first error log I attached to a previous post.

I have kind of made this a project for myself. I appreciate anyone who spends anytime looking at this.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: gz errMAKE-BUILD.txt.gz (181.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 14th October 2021
More noise than signal

You have problems with source building. You have been using a long-dead source replication protocol to obtain your source, and obtain it from an unofficial third party repository.

You might consider using an official CVS mirror with cvs(1). This would eliminate both the protocol and the repository you've been using as the source of your problem.

But you should consider using a supported OS with your hardware. As an example, I run modern OpenBSD/i386 releases on machines with 1/3rd the RAM you have.
Old 14th October 2021
More noise than signal

I'll just add the following information, which you may not be aware of:

OpenBSD 2.9 is not secure. You shouldn't be using it. To highlight this point, the module that fails to build for you, mdc2dgst.c, is a component of the now long-obsolete double DES cryptographic primitive MDC-2DES.
Old 15th October 2021
New User

jg.gimi, I think you are on to something.

In an earlier post you stated, “You might consider using an official CVS mirror with cvs(1). This would eliminate both the protocol and the repository you've been using as the source of your problem.” With the older versions of OpenBSD as I am sure you are aware, you cannot use cvs to update your sources because it will error with:

“no matching cipher found: client aes128-cbc,3des-cbc,blowfish-cbc,cast128-cbc,arcfour,aes192-cbc,aes256-cbc,rijndael128-cbc,rijndael192-cbc,rijndael256-cbc,rijndael-cbc@lysator.liu.se server chacha20-poly1305@openssh.com,aes128...cm@openssh.com

cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)”

In an earlier post you stated, “Replying again to note that 2.9-stable builds were only ever supported being built from 2.9 (-release or -stable). If you are attempting to build 2.9 from a non-2.9 platform, then this is yet another way to introduce build problems.” Point taken, and I agree.

Having said that, I have built to stable, 3.0, 3.1, 3.3, and 3.4 by installing a later version of OpenBSD, downloading the sources for the respective older release and updating with cvs. After which, I moved them to another partition and installed the version I wanted to rebuild and then copy the updated sources back. Is there a potential for file corruption? – sure. But I personally have never had that happen and all the releases I mentioned a few moments ago I was able to rebuild with no errors- except for 2.9 with which I also used this method to update the sources besides using cvsup and a supfile. It always resulted in the same error. In an earlier post I stated, “In order to establish a baseline (for 2.9), I downloaded the src.tar.gz & srcsys.tar.gz sources. Without updating them, I rebuilt my kernel and userland. All went well with no errors.” I was driven to conclude there was some incompatibility with the updated official OpenBSD code and not something else.

In your last post you stated, “I'll just add the following information, which you may not be aware of:

OpenBSD 2.9 is not secure. You shouldn't be using it. To highlight this point, the module that fails to build for you, mdc2dgst.c, is a component of the now long-obsolete double DES cryptographic primitive MDC-2DES.”

I think that is the answer to the problem. What follows is conjecture but my point is there is a reason for everything and I am trying to understand it.

Perhaps, for pragmatic reasons, in the process of developing 2.9 to 3.0 and the needed change in code because, “mdc2dgst.c, is a component of the now long-obsolete double DES cryptographic primitive MDC-2DES”, it was decided to invest effort and change into 3.0 rather than do that and try to rectify the new issue that was created for 2.9 if one wishes to rebuild to stable. Urge people to upgrade because of better security, etc. Again, this is conjecture. It would be interesting to hear from an OpenBSD coder who is familiar with this to elaborate on it.

You have been very helpful and I have enjoyed the back and forth with this. Thanks.
Old 15th October 2021
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssgs View Post
With the older versions of OpenBSD as I am sure you are aware, you cannot use cvs to update your sources...
I wasn't aware, because I've never tried to build ancient systems. But I certainly understand. Cryptographic technologies change over time. Old cryptographic tech is obsoleted when proven insecure. The CVS client and server communicate via ssh(1)/sshd(8), and no cipher available to your old, ancient and unsafe ssh client is acceptable to the ssh server running at the CVS mirror.
Quote:
Perhaps, for pragmatic reasons, in the process of developing 2.9 to 3.0 and the needed change...
I don't think so. In this case, this cryptographic hash for 2DES remained a component of OpenBSD until 2006 (Release 5.7), when it was removed completely.