DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th December 2021
Arp Constable

Default U.S. Voip Provider Recommendations

I'm finally upgrading my Internet WAN connection to more bandwidth. My present service was bundled with a land phone line and the New Cable Internet was going to be bundled with a Charter/Spectrum phone. I think the new phone is essentially VoIP and my preliminary knowledge suggests that I can do that myself through a NIC port on my router and a device I purchase. I just need a Cloud based VoIP. This will result in a cleaner install with fewer boxes.

Any recommendations for a Cloud based VoIP in the US. I have not made any calls outside of the US in memory nor do I spend alot of time on the phone. I just need the ability to talk to my family and US contacts.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 11th December 2021
ISO Quartermaster

Michael Bazzell talked about VoIP on his podcast. It was US centric so I didn't use his guides. He mentions Twilio, Linphone and Telnyx on his site.
He even has a post about self-hosted beta of an program working with Twilio or Telnyx numbers.
https://inteltechniques.com/blog/202...-sms-voip-app/

I heard that more than a decade ago VoIP required routers with good QoS, but this was in an business setting with quite congested Internet connection.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th December 2021
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1-531g View Post
I heard that more than a decade ago VoIP required routers with good QoS, but this was in an business setting with quite congested Internet connection.
Thanks for the link. I wonder if the QoS was needed to prioritize VoIP and would be less of an issue with decent CPU and memory? I've been running OpenWRT on recertified routers and with the new connection, bought a Linksys EA7300v2 (880Mhz, Dual core router w/ 256MB ram). OpenWRT has some ARM64 based builds if the EA7300 is not enough.

Last edited by shep; 16th December 2021 at 01:57 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th December 2021
More noise than signal

QoS is used to prioritize voice network traffic over data network traffic. It's not about processing power.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd December 2021
New OpenBSD User

Theoretically, your OpenWrt firmware is either automatically or can be configured with "cake" traffic management, which is supposed to be ideal for this kind of application.

I don't know if they are U.S.-based, but I've had good experiences with Anveo. Their interface is a little non-intuitive and their rates are, or were, rock-bottom (but no all you can eat plans).