DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2022
Shell Scout

Default the gigabyte capacity, incorrect at obsd installer

hi
I tried to reinstall openbsd.
I booted back to LMDE(debian), deleted obsd partition, then created it again (21GB), toggled it with fdisk /dev/sda to a6 (openbsd data, on that fdisk version -whom may various-), then reboot to openbsd installation disk, then wizard:
on my 21GB partition, I try to make only one slice : I enter default values for it each time, at the end p g shows only 15GB according the following pictures : why?

thank you

partition manager gallery :
https://imgur.com/a/5yrOli1
https://f2l.retzien.fr/gallery/1672924906-34/

obsd isntaller :
the 145403.jpg image ends on the result of the only slice installed using default criterias, as I imagine the maximum GB size it could take within the openbsd parititon : 15.6GB in obsd installer, whom same partition is saw as 21GB under LMDE/debian gparted

https://imgur.com/a/hhbZxT3
https://f2l.retzien.fr/gallery/1672925155-56/

thank you
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2022
More noise than signal

When you select automatic allocation of disklabel partitions, these are the expected assigments, according to the disklabel(8) man page:
Code:
     Disks >= 10 Gigabytes
           /                5% of disk.  150M – 1G
           swap            10% of disk.   80M – 2x max physical memory
           /tmp             8% of disk.  120M – 4G
           /var            13% of disk.   80M – 4G + 2x size of crash dump
           /usr            10% of disk. 1500M – 30G
           /usr/X11R6       3% of disk.  384M – 1G
           /usr/local      15% of disk.    1G – 20G
           /usr/src         2% of disk. 1500M – 3G
           /usr/obj         4% of disk.    5G – 6G
           /home           30% of disk.    1G – 300G
If you did not make your own assignments of space, then it appears the automatic allocation did not happen correctly.

It seems that the fdisk(8) program shows the extended partition has the correct number of sectors, but the disklabel(8) allocation has only 4 OpenBSD partitions: / - 1.5 GB, swap - 256 MB, /usr - 3GB, and /home - 2GB.

I don't know why this has occurred, but if you used automatic allocation without change then there are two possible reasons I can think of: 1) I can see that your OpenBSD MBR partition is an extended partition. The OpenBSD FAQ warns, "Extended partitions may not work." 2) You have a large number of foreign file systems, which may have interfered with the automatic allocation.

One way to circumvent the problem is to make your own allocations, and not depend on automatic allocation.

---

Edited to add: you have a 1.5 GB root partition, yet the maximum size for this with automatic allocation is 1GB. Did you attempt your own partition assignments? If so, any mistakes in allocation would have occurred somewhere between your keyboard and your chair.

Last edited by jggimi; 10th July 2022 at 12:06 AM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2022
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
When you select automatic allocation of disklabel partitions, these are the expected assigments, according to the disklabel(8) man page:
Code:
     Disks >= 10 Gigabytes
           /                5% of disk.  150M – 1G
           swap            10% of disk.   80M – 2x max physical memory
           /tmp             8% of disk.  120M – 4G
           /var            13% of disk.   80M – 4G + 2x size of crash dump
           /usr            10% of disk. 1500M – 30G
           /usr/X11R6       3% of disk.  384M – 1G
           /usr/local      15% of disk.    1G – 20G
           /usr/src         2% of disk. 1500M – 3G
           /usr/obj         4% of disk.    5G – 6G
           /home           30% of disk.    1G – 300G
If you did not make your own assignments of space, then it appears the automatic allocation did not happen correctly.

It seems that the fdisk(8) program shows the extended partition has the correct number of sectors, but the disklabel(8) allocation has only 4 OpenBSD partitions: / - 1.5 GB, swap - 256 MB, /usr - 3GB, and /home - 2GB.

I don't know why this has occurred, but if you used automatic allocation without change then there are two possible reasons I can think of: 1) I can see that your OpenBSD MBR partition is an extended partition. The OpenBSD FAQ warns, "Extended partitions may not work." 2) You have a large number of foreign file systems, which may have interfered with the automatic allocation.

One way to circumvent the problem is to make your own allocations, and not depend on automatic allocation.

---

Edited to add: you have a 1.5 GB root partition, yet the maximum size for this with automatic allocation is 1GB. Did you attempt your own partition assignments? If so, any mistakes in allocation would have occurred somewhere between your keyboard and your chair.
Hi, thank you for answering

in fact, when installer asks, I choose firstly "openbsd area", then "custom" one.
disklabel opens, I wipe the BSD partition, or if none, I create ones :
a (to add)
then offset I let it
then for size I do Ng
then slice type and mount point..

on my side, giving to an openbsd area 21GB of space, then on the obsd installer, it says 15G of free space, somewhere I don't understand, it's not allocation of slices problem, but well openbsd whom detects obsd area wrong, I guess?

from linux where /, /home and a swap were highly enoguh, I found out that obsd requires for a separate /usr. Well, then with my first installation experiments I was expecting the bigger of system data were going on /, then few of rest going to /usr, I discover I was wrong, I think none of my obsd laptops have a / used more than 1GB, but the /usr is a huge bigger used ... that's why on my little 20GB openbsd area (whom is enough for basic usage), bring about 10/15 go /usr would be a good choice, then a little gigabyte for swap, same for / and for /home (I need few files data space only)..

but I dont get why on custom (or others?) layout, it see only 15GB as openbsd data space, whom gparted and windows see 21GB.. it's a bit bizarre for me..
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2022
More noise than signal

The fdisk(8) program showed that your OpenBSD MBR partition has 44701696 sectors. That's the correct number of sectors -- it matches what you created when you were running Linux. I expect that the MBR partition runs contiguously from LBA 1164591104 through to LBA 1209292799. This is within the second Extended DOS MBR partition that starts at LBA 1164589056 for 44703744 sectors, ending at the same sector: LBA 1209292799.

I can see you ran disklabel(8) and deleted the OpenBSD partitions: a, b, d, e - (/, swap, /usr, /home) - and attempted to create a single "a" partition, but the sector size was limited to 32768000 sectors. This is well within the 2 TB MBR addressing limit, therefore I can only guess that there is an unintended boundary set, probably from a previously existing disklabel on the drive.

What does the output of # disklabel sd0 show as "boundstart" and "boundend" values? If they are wrong, you can delete the existing on-disk disklabel with the "z" command, or modify the boundaries with the "b" command.

Last edited by jggimi; 10th July 2022 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Added "b" command
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th July 2022
Shell Scout

solved by removing the openbsd-area partition, then recreated partition with parted linux tool, toggled to openbsdarea