DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading

FreeBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading FreeBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 22nd November 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Default EFI partition not visible in EFI firmware settings

I just tried to install FreeBSD on my notebook. I created a partition of type EFI in the FreeBSD installer, however after installation boot fails. When i try to add a new EFI boot entry, my UEFI says it can't find any file system. What file system would i enter in the installer for the boot partition?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2021
Too dumb for a smartphone

For practical purposes I think it will have to be an MSDOS filesystem.

(I've no familiarity with FreeBSD or its installer.)
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdOp View Post
For practical purposes I think it will have to be an MSDOS filesystem.

(I've no familiarity with FreeBSD or its installer.)
I have selected efi and FAT32 in the efi OPTIONS but not working
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2021
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

The ESP needs a FAT filesystem and it should be of type "ef00" in the output of
Code:
# gdisk -l /dev/adaX
(Replace X with the correct identifier for your drive.)

It could be that the disk has an MSDOS partition table ("MBR" type) — not all UEFI firmware implementations will support UEFI booting from such a device despite it being part of the official specification. A GUID partition table (GPT) is the only way to guarantee compatibility.

Apologies but I'm not sure about the gpart(8) output; it's been a while since I tried FreeBSD (as you probably realised from my erroneous post in your other thread).
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 26th November 2021
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielonykid123 View Post
I just tried to install FreeBSD on my notebook. I created a partition of type EFI in the FreeBSD installer, however after installation boot fails. When i try to add a new EFI boot entry, my UEFI says it can't find any file system. What file system would i enter in the installer for the boot partition?
Reading between the lines (When i try to add a new EFI boot entry), there would be no reason to add a boot entry to a default FreeBSD install. There would be if you were dual-booting. Are you using Grub2, elilo, syslinux or refind?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_boot_process

If osprober is installed and enabled, grub2 will usually find other operating systems. refind is reported to have good OS probing.

The other issue is that you state you created the partition's manually. Even if the bootloader does not find the additional partition, if you kept a record of the partition set-up or went back and determined the partition tables with gdisk, you can manually set the path to the partitions in the bootloader.

Another source of potential problems is that FreeBSD changed the bootloading chain between 12.2 and 13.0
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/13.0R/relnotes/
under BOOT LOADER CHANGES
Quote:
Prior releases had a complete ms-dos formatted filesystem packaged into boot1.efifat. Older versions of FreeBSD installed this filesystem image into a raw partition. However, uses of the ESP have proliferated, making this inflexible approach no longer desirable. Users have varied needs for the size of this partition, and multiple booting setups require more detailed access. To update old ESP partitions, users should stop using the gpart(8) utility. Instead, ESP partitions should be mounted as MS-DOS filesystems as /boot/efi, and /boot/loader.efi should be copied to /boot/efi/efi/boot/bootx64.efi if the default setup is use. If the efibootmgr(8) utility is used to customize the boot environment, this file should be copied to the location set with the -l flag.
The last pitfall may be the laptop you are using. Older ones used a 32bit bootloader even if the hardware was 64bit.

Last edited by shep; 27th November 2021 at 12:00 AM.