DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Other Operating Systems > Solaris

Solaris SUN Solaris & OpenSolaris.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Default Changing the windowmanager under Openindiana

Hi there,
I installed the latest Openindiana Hipster and it runs out of the box. However it comes with the Mate WM, which is not my top favourite.
So I want to use twm instead. Sounds simple: Writing an .xsession or .xinitrc in ~ and calling the twm there would do the job - that were my thoughts.

But this does not work in Openindiana! Whatever I change has no effort and the system always starts withe the Mate env ironment.

Any hint what I have to do to get twm running? What I saw was that Openindiana is quite different from Open- or NetBSD. So what to do?

Regards
Berni
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th September 2021
Package Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by berni51 View Post
So I want to use twm instead.
I suggest looking into ctwm instead, assuming you haven't already. It provides virtual desktops, EWMH compliance, true fullscreen...you can get the latest version with pkgsrc and let it reside under /opt.

Quote:

Sounds simple: Writing an .xsession or .xinitrc in ~ and calling the twm there would do the job - that were my thoughts.
But this does not work in Openindiana! Whatever I change has no effort and the system always starts withe the Mate env ironment.
LightDM by default reads ~/.xprofile upon stattup. Just copy whatever your .xinitrc contains to ~/.xprofile.
You can also disable the display manager service entirely and boot into console mode, than start the X window server with startx. This is as easy as:
Code:
$ pfexec svcadm disable lightdm
You may need to configure RBAC to give admin profile to your unprivileged user. As root:

Code:
$ usermod -P'Primary Administrator' myusername
See svcadm(1M) and svcs(1) to get started with SMF.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks @Sensucht94, your hints solved my problem. I did not know that lightdm ignores .xsession and uses .xprofile.
Now my xrandr-calls are in .xprofile and everything works fine: lightdm starts twm and the screen resolution is correct.
However I now would like to have ctwm, but it is not in the repositories. Will try pkgsrc now.
Thx for your kind help.

Berni

Last edited by berni51; 18th September 2021 at 03:18 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 18th September 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensucht94 View Post
I suggest looking into ctwm instead, assuming you haven't already. It provides virtual desktops, EWMH compliance, true fullscreen...you can get the latest version with pkgsrc and let it reside under /opt.
Do you mean that I shall download the source from ctwm.org or from a github repository and then compile it?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2021
Package Pilot

Quote:
Do you mean that I shall download the source from ctwm.org or from a github repository and then compile it?

Nope, you can use Joyent's binary pkgsrc packages for Illumos (remember pkgsrc is SmartOS main packagin system); they work really well on other illumos distributions like OI and Tribblix. Joyent's packages are in sync with pkgsrc-current, and on the plus side they're signed and served through https. Compiling from source through pkgsrc is another option. Here's the relevant entry on the NetBSD wiki.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Thats great, thank you very, very much for your help. I read the documents you talked about, then downloaded the pkgsrc tree, installed the build-essential package from OI and tried to run the bootstrap script.
At first this failed, and the reason was the /usr/gnu/bin in $PATH. There is obviously a mistake in the netbsd description, cause as I removed /usr/gnu/bin from my path, the bootstrap script went fine.

Then I compiled the ctwm from pkgsrc, what costs a little bit time. However the run was successful and now I have a better wm running.
So the largest problem of OI is solved: The lack of applications. I now have the wide world of NetBSD in front of my eyes. Fantastic!

This ist the pure ctwm, only with the system.ctwmrc:
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th September 2021
Package Pilot

Quote:
Thats great, thank you very, very much for your help.
You're welcome! I admit being rather pleased of coming across another illumos user, it's (understandably) becoming rarer these days.
Quote:
At first this failed, and the reason was the /usr/gnu/bin in $PATH. There is obviously a mistake in the netbsd description, cause as I removed /usr/gnu/bin from my path, the bootstrap script went fine.
This used to be the default path for GNU tools on Illumos, which inherited such convention from Solaris 11 (on Solaris 10 it would be /usr/sfw, and you'd also have /usr/csw for OpenCSW packages). Worth having a look at filesystem(5) (the Solaris equivalent of hier(7)).
Quote:
So the largest problem of OI is solved: The lack of applications. I now have the wide world of NetBSD in front of my eyes. Fantastic!
In addition, you may wish to check out SFE IPS Package Repository for OpenIndiana.
Quote:
This ist the pure ctwm, only with the system.ctwmrc:
Very nice! You can look into my personal configuration here and see if you can find any nice idea to implement. That's the one shown on the NetBSD gallery.
Cheers!
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
In addition, you may wish to check out SFE IPS Package Repository for OpenIndiana.
The packages seem to be obsolated - there is nothing from this publisher I can install.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st September 2021
Package Pilot

Quote:
The packages seem to be obsolated - there is nothing from this publisher I can install.

My mistake, haven't been using OI in 2-3 years (switched to Tribblix in the meantime, which doesn't use IPS, but classic SVR4 packages). I didn't know SFE repo was dormant (last few update packages seem dated 2020); that's quite sad to realize.
SFE/OpenCSW used to be the preferred way to get Libreoffice, VLC, Audacious, mutt and others on OI up until recently.
Fdisk Soldier

I ran into a problem using the (wonderfull) pkgsrc framework:
Was able to compile ctwm and it runs perfect. But now, when I try to compile another package (let's say feh) the compiler starts, but after a short time it stops with:
configure: error: Cannot run C compiled programs.

This happens always, except compiling ctwm again, that works.

Probably I made a mistake, but I don't know what.

Any ideas?

Regards
Berni
Old 24th September 2021
Package Pilot

Quote:
Any ideas?
Most likely an improperly set LDFLAGS, CPATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH
By the way, any reason for you not use precompiled binaries?
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Most likely an improperly set LDFLAGS, CPATH or LD_LIBRARY_PATH
By the way, any reason for you not use precompiled binaries?
No reason, that would be the best solution.
However I did not find any Openindiana binaries.
Old 25th September 2021
Package Pilot

Quote:
However I did not find any Openindiana binaries.

SmartOS and OI are software distributions of the same core OS, the rolling-release illumos-gate¹. Joyent's pkgsrc binaries for Illumos (built on pkgsrc-current) are linked against illumos-gate and are therefore expected to work on other active illumos distributions. Instructions on how to enable the repo are available here

1. Well, each distribution actually maintains their slightly modified soft-fork, which is constantly kept in sync with illumos-gate, so as to catch up on latest additions and bug fixes. For instance, by not including LX zones and bhye, while keeping maintaining SunStudio (at least that was the case last time I was using it in 2018), and splitting userland in 32/64 bit components, OI has generally retains a more conservative approach.
Fdisk Soldier

Thanks @Sensucht94. I have tried to work with the binary packages. It was no problem to install (the latest version) the packages, however nothing of them starts on my computer. Each programs ends up in a core dump with:

Assertion failed: XCB_SEQUENCE_COMPARE(request, <=, c->out.request), file /jenkins/jobs/oi-userland/workspace/components/x11/libxcb/libxcb-1.13/src/xcb_out.c, line 473, function _xcb_out_flush_to core dump.

The same thing happens when I make a package on a machine where everythings works well and where the compiled apps are running. When I install such a package on another machine (an older AMD pc) I get ther same message as above.

Puh, really hard work to build an Openindiana machine.
Old 5th October 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Finally I'm quite satisfied with my Openindiana! Thanks to the hints of @Sensucht94 I was able to compile the apps I need or to install binaries from the marvellous pkgsrc project. Even the half-handfull of simple games I play sometimes are running.

On a second disk in the same computer I installed Tribblix - just to see what is is and what's the difference to Openindiana. As I use the machine as a workstation as well as a server (nfs, nginx, smb) in a local network, the other illumos distros like OmniOS or SmartOS are not a good choice for me - however I tried both.

So again: I am happy with Openindiana and hope that it will have a long life.

Regards
Berni