DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th May 2023
Port Guard

Default Simple FTP server

Greetings All,

I have been using OpenBSD for quite some time now, but still have a lot to learn about many many things.

I have decided to setup a simple FTP server to upload/download files from my OpenBSD machine (server) to my Android phone (client) via FTP.

I simply just start ftpd via rcctl in my OpenBSD machine then use my android phone to connect to it, then it works like a charm.

My only issue is after a few minutes the ftp server kind of just times out and all my file transferring is being interrupted. How can I set my FTP server to run indefinitely without timeouts.

Thanks much,
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2023
Arp Constable

By default, OpenBSD has openssh enabled and it includes sftp. It is what I use and have no problem with large transfers to a amd64 based machine. For android phones, I installed termux which included sftp as a client.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.termux/
It successfully transferred small files but due to the limited ram storage, I did not test large files.

For cells phones, battery life is everything and they tend to have aggressive power savings settings. It may be that the phone is dropping the connection based on what it perceives as inactivity. You can run a couple of tests like transfers between server on another amd64 machine or background the Termux job while you keep the phone busy with some light activity.

Last edited by shep; 21st May 2023 at 02:39 PM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2023
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
By default, OpenBSD has openssh enabled and it includes sftp. It is what I use and have no problem with large transfers to a amd64 based machine. For android phones, I installed termux which included sftp as a client.
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.termux/
It successfully transferred small files but due to the limited ram, I did not test large files.

For cells phones, battery life is everything and they tend to have aggressive power savings settings. It may be that the phone is dropping the connection based on what it perceives as inactivity. You can run a couple of tests like transfers between server on another amd64 machine or background the Termux job while you keep the phone busy with some light activity.
Thanks... I was also experimenting with sftp while looking for solutions to my ftp server issues... I think I will have to go with ssh and sftp, it works better based on my experiments...

Thanks much...
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2023
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas

My 2 cents would be to use SSH/SFTP as it is very reliable and easy to use, with many options for small or large data transfer.

Last edited by frcc; 21st May 2023 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Clarify and add response