DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Everything else.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2020
Port Guard

Lightbulb I want to stop hopping.

I really like BSD system but by some how I make myself stranded in my mess. I have tried FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD and DragonflyBSD but can't choose what I fit because I have too much issues around each system. And now I can't choose one BSD operatating for my purpose and I have become a BSD hopper. And it is suck anyway.

I want to GET OUT of my mess. I'm not very experience in operating system but can able to fix my problem by myself. I still a beginner who migrate from Linux to BSD

- Problem with FreeBSD
_ drm-kmod seem not work if I use pkg. I don't know why it won't work in FreeBSD 12.2 .
_ I don't want to waste my time just for compiling ports.... But drm-kmod work well..

- Problem with OpenBSD
_ Their documentation is not much information but I still like they manual pages. But I still struggle in my problems while install stuff. Also I just test it on Virtualbox, I have never made a real installation because I still need Windows, Linux boot together with BSD.

- Problem with NetBSD
_ Documentation and community still not helpful, Firefox is pretty slow in NetBSD and I need a great javascript browser to do it. Install and configure manual dwm in NetBSD is really hard for a beginner (my config.def.h not working like I want).

_ About myself:
+ I want a good BSD have great documentation.
+ I have DWA-131E1 wireless USB and Intel HD Graphics card, Core i3217U with 4GB RAM.
+ I want my software work out of box without any issues (in NetBSD issues always keep continue happen to me but I still like the way they have pkg_in packages after compile from pkgsrc).

I sorry if I don't provide much information and really stupid when I can't make a choice. Right now, I really need some great advices for my choice. I hope we can done this topic so that I will have a great Unix environment to learn programming, networking and operating systems.

Last edited by HopingStar; 19th January 2021 at 02:32 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th December 2020
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopingStar View Post
- Problem with OpenBSD
_ Their documentation is not much information but I still like they manual pages.
Have you seen the FAQ?

Quote:
I still struggle in my problems while install stuff
What does "struggle" mean, exactly? And what problems do you have? Please post verbatim error messages rather than vague descriptions.

Quote:
I have never made a real installation because I still need Windows, Linux boot together with BSD
It is possible to multi-boot with GNU/Linux, OpenBSD and Windows. I've done it myself so I can help you with that.

Quote:
I have DWA-131E1 wireless USB
That might be supported by the rsu(4) driver but you will also need the firmware:

http://firmware.openbsd.org/firmware/

If you can connect via cable for the installation then fw_update(1) should be run automatically on first boot of the new system and that will download and install the firmware for you. Otherwise download it manually using another machine then transfer it on a (FAT-formatted) USB stick and place it under /etc/firmware/.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick; 12th December 2020 at 11:26 AM. Reason: s/should/might/
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th January 2021
Port Guard

I stop hopping by install 3 mainstream BSDs on the same machine. Ya, now no one can stop me to do it FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD. Here I come.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th January 2021
Too dumb for a smartphone

A suggested edit for the thread title: "hoping" --> "hopping", if appropriate?
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2021
Port Guard

Now, it work perfectly. Sorry, I'm not good at English.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th January 2021
Too dumb for a smartphone

No problem, it will get better with experience.

Last edited by IdOp; 22nd January 2021 at 04:44 PM.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th January 2021
Spam Deminer

Quote:
- Problem with FreeBSD
_ drm-kmod seem not work if I use pkg. I don't know why it won't work in FreeBSD 12.2 .
_ I don't want to waste my time just for compiling ports.... But drm-kmod work well..
Does it work or not work? Not clear at all from that.

But if you're referring to Intel graphics, I agree it's problematic and there are open bugs for this which have been dragging on for months.

Example: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ell-GT1-Busted
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th February 2021
Port Guard

The package for drm-kmod is built for the minimum supported version of FreeBSD (11.4). That is why it doesn't work for FreeBSD 12. It must be built from ports, or the user should stick to 11.4 until its EOL.
The world doesn't live off jam and fancy perfumes - it lives off bread and meat and potatoes. Nothing changes. All the big fancy stuff is sloppy stuff that crashes. I don't need dancing baloney - I need stuff that works. -- Theo de Raadt
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th February 2021
ISO Quartermaster

The FreeBSD issue with drm-kmod is known. But it really doesn't take much to build it from ports. (Though you do have to install FreeBSD src as well, before building the ports.). It's really only a minor problem, even on a less powerful machine, it doesn't take very long to build, in my opinion. You can install everything else using pkg. To me (but of course, we're all different people) it's more an annoyance than a real problem.
Old 19th February 2021
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
- Problem with OpenBSD
_ Their documentation is not much information but I still like they manual pages. But I still struggle in my problems while install stuff. Also I just test it on Virtualbox, I have never made a real installation because I still need Windows, Linux boot together with BSD.
The manual pages are exceptional on OpenBSD. If you have a particular question that is not answered in the official documentation you can ask it here. OpenBSD is an operating system created by the developers for the developers. We're not encouraged to use it, but, we're welcome to use it if we wish. OpenBSD won't hold your hand. I have dual booted OpenBSD with Linux; today I run OpenBSD by itself.
I have used FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. I prefer OpenBSD. Pick a BSD and stick with it. The rewards are worth the effort.