DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading

OpenBSD Installation and Upgrading Installing and upgrading OpenBSD.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 23rd November 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Default Root partition file system

Hi. I just wanted to install OpenBSD. It's been a while since 6.9, so many things changed. Last time, when I was installing OpenBSD 6.9 the default root file system was 4.4BSD, now I can see it's 4.2BSD by-default. Why? Can I still use 4.4BSD file system as root?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2021
More noise than signal

You may be misremembering. The disklabel(8) program's default partition type for Fast File System (FFS) partitions has been reporting itself as "4.2BSD" in OpenBSD since 1995. And still does, even though the default filesystem is now FFS2, a modern enhancement based on the original FFS.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
You may be misremembering. The disklabel(8) program's default partition type for Fast File System (FFS) partitions has been reporting itself as "4.2BSD" in OpenBSD since 1995. And still does, even though the default filesystem is now FFS2, a modern enhancement based on the original FFS.
So 4.4BSD is FFS and 4.2BSD is FFS2?
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2021
More noise than signal

No. The disklabel(8) report has always shown these partitions as "4.2BSD". Since 1995, which is before OpenBSD was first released. You've either misremembered the report or confused this with something else.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
No. The disklabel(8) report has always shown these partitions as "4.2BSD". Since 1995, which is before OpenBSD was first released. You've either misremembered the report or confused this with something else.
It was 4.4BSD when I were installing OpenBSD 6.9

Alright, I just looked up for some OpenBSD 6.9 installation videos and it really was 4.2BSD. My bad.

Last edited by Zielonykid123; 24th November 2021 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Ok nvm
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2021
More noise than signal

To answer this question, before I replied I went to the source: the source code itself. The OpenBSD source code repository has been both public and openly available since the Project began in 1995. It's the "Open" of OpenBSD.

Here, you can see that the 4.2BSD reference in /usr/src/sys/sys/disklabel.h is line number 248, where FS_BSDFFS is defined. This line was part of revision 1.1, which was the initial import into OpenBSD back in 1995. There are a few more recent updates, with the most recent addition --line number 260, which was added in 2012 with revision 1.54.

I also checked /usr/src/sbin/disklabel/{disklabel.c,editor.c} to confirm that these both still used "4.2BSD" as well. There have been some changes to the output lines themselves in intervening years but the "4.2BSD" references have remained in place since 1995.
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2021
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
To answer this question, before I replied I went to the source: the source code itself. The OpenBSD source code repository has been both public and openly available since the Project began in 1995. It's the "Open" of OpenBSD.

Here, you can see that the 4.2BSD reference in /usr/src/sys/sys/disklabel.h is line number 248, where FS_BSDFFS is defined. This line was part of revision 1.1, which was the initial import into OpenBSD back in 1995. There are a few more recent updates, with the most recent addition --line number 260, which was added in 2012 with revision 1.54.

I also checked /usr/src/sbin/disklabel/{disklabel.c,editor.c} to confirm that these both still used "4.2BSD" as well. There have been some changes to the output lines themselves in intervening years but the "4.2BSD" references have remained in place since 1995.
So 4.4BSD file system does not exist?
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 24th November 2021
More noise than signal

Not on OpenBSD.