DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2015
Port Guard

Question Adding a NIC into cramped micro itx board for firewall

I have a dilemma, and apologies in advance if this is the wrong area.

I need to add another Intel NIC to my embedded firewall on a micro atx board. However, I can't seem to find a solution to get another one in there.

I saw a thread where someone was trying to do this with a netgate, but there was no resolution. So since my situation is different, I pose this to the experts here.

I have a BLKD2500CCE w/ Intel Atom BGA559, Mini ITX form factor w/dual intel nics (LINK).

It has a 1 full size PCI* Conventional Bus Connector and 1 PCI Express* Mini Card (half/full option).

The problem is that I have it in an m350 case (LINK).

This keeps things very compact. I am unable to put a full size PCI card in the PCI slot as there is no clearance on the top of the case. I had thought about putting a 90 degree riser in there to push it horizontally, however, the connectors on the back would block it. Perhaps I could run a ribbon extender outside the firewall and have the nic on the outside hanging there, but that is unsightly and not sure if that would cause latency or any other issues not being connected directly towards the board. Plus the issue of it coming in contact with something and frying the board..

The other option is to use the onboard PCI Express* Mini slot (horizontally flush with mobo) and maybe run some sort of extender off of there. But I can't find any. I definately can't find any intel nics that would fit the bill. Definately want to keep this a Intel NIC only box.

Also OpenBSD support would be key.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by azarian; 20th May 2015 at 05:53 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2015
More noise than signal

Would 802.1Q meet your needs? If so, all that is needed is an external managed switch to provide multiple Ethernets from a single NIC. Even both NICs, depending on your network topology. The NICs can be trunked, as the switch can route traffic to the appropriate Ethernet, which could include Internet-facing subnets as well as multiple internal subnets.
Code:
[Your firewall's NIC or NICs] - VLANs - [managed switch] - {multiple Ethernets}
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 20th May 2015
Port Guard

While this is a viable option, I would prefer to keep everything self contained at this point and find a way to add a nic to the case/board as described.

This looks like a possible option: LINK, but it would be messy and also I can't foind an Intel Nic that uses this setup.

Last edited by azarian; 20th May 2015 at 09:29 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st May 2015
Port Guard

Hrm, just came across this:

http://www.globalamericaninc.com/commell-mpx-574d.html

It sports a Intel 82574L chipset. But i can't make heads or tails of their compatible list. it states "This module uses a proprietary Mini-PCIe Interface and will only work with certain Motherboards and Single Board Computers listed in this Product Cross Reference Sheet" (LINK)

I would still have it hanging out the back, but it might be doable.

But the fact that they mention "proprietary" and that I don't recognize any of the boards listed gives me pause. Especially since another of their vendors says "Check Mini-PCIExpress module compatibility with Commell motherboards here (LINK)"

Thoughts, concerns?

Last edited by azarian; 21st May 2015 at 12:48 AM.