DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2019
Port Guard

Default Using authpf to access a network

Hi I'm having a little trouble getting my solution to work.

I have a VM with two interfaces network vlan 10 and network vlan 20. I want users to SSH to the IP on network vlan 10 so they are authenticated to access network vlan 20. I have authpf working but I don't know how to incorporate this into the pf rules to open up access for that user to the network. Can some please help.

Thanks
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2019
More noise than signal

Hello and welcome!

I'm not sure what guidance you would need. There's an authpf(8) man page, and there's a chapter on authpf in the PF User's Guide. Both should help. In particular, the PF User's Guide chapter has examples.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Hello and welcome!

I'm not sure what guidance you would need. There's an authpf(8) man page, and there's a chapter on authpf in the PF User's Guide. Both should help. In particular, the PF User's Guide chapter has examples.
Hello and thank you for your reply. I am quite new to pf and I just, after reading the user guide, understand if I am using the correct syntax.

I used the rdr-to but the only examples I find pertain to redirecting to an IP and not a whole network in the DMZ.

Am I approaching this incorrectly?

So as I explained from my client I ssh to lets say 192.168.100.1 this authenticates me with authpf to enter the DMZ network 192.168.14.0/24. I can't seem to get this working.

This is what I have done so far:

authpf is running and I have a blank authpf.rules file globally.
I have allowed incoming ssh and ping for the interface that holds the IP 192.168.100.1

from there I am lost.... I read that you have to use anchors etc but I cannot seem to figure this out.

Do you or are there any real world examples that will help me?

Many thanks in anticipation!
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2019
More noise than signal

I would not use rdr-to, as that is designed for port forwarding. Instead, I would simply block the traffic by default, and use pass rules in the auth-pf anchor to pass the desired traffic. The example in the PF User's Guide uses pass rules for the anchor set.

For more specific help, please post your PF ruleset, and your authpf anchor rules. (You should redact any "real" Internet network addresses to maintain privacy.)
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
I would not use rdr-to, as that is designed for port forwarding. Instead, I would simply block the traffic by default, and use pass rules in the auth-pf anchor to pass the desired traffic. The example in the PF User's Guide uses pass rules for the anchor set.

For more specific help, please post your PF ruleset, and your authpf anchor rules. (You should redact any "real" Internet network addresses to maintain privacy.)
ok here you go, my guess is its a mess:

pf.conf
Code:
#  Interfaces 
extif="em0"
intif="em1"
# Variables
allowed_tcp_ports="{ ssh, https, rdp }"
set block-policy drop
set loginterface $extif
set skip on lo

# Block all Incoming Traffic 
block all

# Allow  temporary ICMP on ext interface
pass in on $extif inet proto icmp to ($extif) icmp-type 8 code 0 keep state
pass in on $extif proto tcp to ($extif) port $allowed_tcp_ports
authpf.rules
Code:
extif = "em0"
pass out on $extif inet proto tcp from any to any port $allowed_tcp_ports
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2019
Port Guard

oh and my test is to try and ssh to a machine in the DMZ for example

ssh user@192.168.14.10

But I cannot reach this machine at all
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2019
More noise than signal

It's not a mess. It is readable, and your intent is understandable.
  • Your main ruleset is missing an anchor point, so the anchor rules are never applied. See Linking authpf into the Main Ruleset in the PF User's Guide chapter, and the example configuration in the same page, for anchor point use examples.
  • Your authpf rules do not use $user_ip or $user_id. A single authpf session will pass all outbound traffic for $allowed_tcp_ports.
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2019
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by calanon View Post
oh and my test is to try and ssh to a machine in the DMZ for example

ssh user@192.168.14.10

But I cannot reach this machine at all
I can't tell from what you've posted what your DMZ is. Your rules only have an internal and external interface. You permit ssh, https, and rdp inbound on the external interface in your main ruleset, and it must be destined for the OpenBSD machine. That is the only TCP traffic permitted.
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
It's not a mess. It is readable, and your intent is understandable.
  • Your main ruleset is missing an anchor point, so the anchor rules are never applied. See Linking authpf into the Main Ruleset in the PF User's Guide chapter, and the example configuration in the same page, for anchor point use examples.
  • Your authpf rules do not use $user_ip or $user_id. A single authpf session will pass all outbound traffic for $allowed_tcp_ports.
So the anchor is linked. With the other point would this be correct:

/etc/authpf/users/myuser/authpf.rules

Code:
pass out on $intif inet proto tcp from $user_ip to any port $allowed_tcp_ports
Old 10th July 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
I can't tell from what you've posted what your DMZ is. Your rules only have an internal and external interface. You permit ssh, https, and rdp inbound on the external interface in your main ruleset, and it must be destined for the OpenBSD machine. That is the only TCP traffic permitted.
It could be my words are wrong:

So I use this bsd machine as the gateway from my exposed LAN to the DMZ.

I want to be able to ssh authpf to the bsd box. Then once authenticated I can ssh into any box in the DMZ. I feel my rules do not reflect this.
Old 10th July 2019
More noise than signal

Quote:
So the anchor is linked. With the other point would this be correct:
You do not need to use separate /users/ authpf rule files, unless you need rules that are unique to each authenticating user. You can use $user_ip or $user_id in a single rules file, as each user who authenticates will have its set of rules defined under its own anchor point, located at the authpf/* anchor point you defined.
Quote:
It could be my words are wrong:

So I use this bsd machine as the gateway from my exposed LAN to the DMZ.

I want to be able to ssh authpf to the bsd box. Then once authenticated I can ssh into any box in the DMZ. I feel my rules do not reflect this.
Is the address 192.168.14.10 the address of the external interface? Your pass rule
Code:
is the only TCP pass rule in effect, until you authenticate. This rule will pass TCP traffic inbound on the external interface from any IP address, with any source port number, as long as the destination address is an address assigned to that external interface, with a destination port number matching the port numbers for ssh, https, and rdp defined in /etc/services.
Old 10th July 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
You do not need to use separate /users/ authpf rule files, unless you need rules that are unique to each authenticating user. You can use $user_ip or $user_id in a single rules file, as each user who authenticates will have its set of rules defined under its own anchor point, located at the authpf/* anchor point you defined.
Is the address 192.168.14.10 the address of the external interface? Your pass rule
Code:
is the only TCP pass rule in effect, until you authenticate. This rule will pass TCP traffic inbound on the external interface from any IP address, with any source port number, as long as the destination address is an address assigned to that external interface, with a destination port number matching the port numbers for ssh, https, and rdp defined in /etc/services.
Yes that is the external interface, so what rule would I need once authenticated to allow SSH to be passed through the internal interface allowing me to SSH to other boxes in that DMZ ?
Old 10th July 2019
More noise than signal

Your auth.rules file should include a pass that allows ssh traffic through your internal interface. Such as:
Code:

pass proto tcp from $user_ip to any port $allowed_tcp_ports
Several notes:
  • Position of the anchor in the main ruleset is important. The last matching rule wins.
  • Be careful with in, out, and on directives. These restrictions often cause more confusion, and therefore more problems, than they solve. You'll note my example rule doesn't use them.
Old 22nd July 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
Your auth.rules file should include a pass that allows ssh traffic through your internal interface. Such as:
Code:

pass proto tcp from $user_ip to any port $allowed_tcp_ports
Several notes:
  • Position of the anchor in the main ruleset is important. The last matching rule wins.
  • Be careful with in, out, and on directives. These restrictions often cause more confusion, and therefore more problems, than they solve. You'll note my example rule doesn't use them.
I assume that you mean place the anchor at the end?
Old 22nd July 2019
More noise than signal

Generally, yes.
Old 22nd July 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
Generally, yes.
I will tell you what issue I am facing.

I have enabled forwarding on the sysctl.conf file. I have created a test route from my desktop machine to go to the test vm vai the gateway I created.

The ports are open but I am unable to ping the endpoint client. This is the icmp rule I have in authpf:

Code:
pass out on egress inet proto icmp icmp-type echoreq no state
Old 22nd July 2019
More noise than signal

Your icmp rule applies to traffic already permitted through or originating on the gateway, not from the workstation that has authenticated with an authpf(8) shell.
Old 25th July 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
Your icmp rule applies to traffic already permitted through or originating on the gateway, not from the workstation that has authenticated with an authpf(8) shell.
Sorry to keep bothering you. This is what I did to test the concept:

From my local machine I added a route to another VM 192.168.0.254 via the gateway 192.168.15.5 (The bsd machine with authpf)

Once authenticated I am able to ssh to the IP 192.168.0.254.

When I remove that route and I add the following route.

ip route add 192.168.0.0/16 via 192.168.15.5

I cannot log into any other server in that subnet not even 192.168.0.254

Any ideas?
Old 25th July 2019
More noise than signal

Quote:
....I add the following route.

ip route add 192.168.0.0/16 via 192.168.15.5
That's not a route(8) syntax. Where are you adding this?
Old 25th July 2019
Port Guard

Quote:
That's not a route(8) syntax. Where are you adding this?
I am adding this to my linux box to explicitly state that if I want to access the 192.168.0.0/16 network I should use the gateway 192.168.15.5