DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > FreeBSD > FreeBSD General

FreeBSD General Other questions regarding FreeBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th September 2019
VPN Cryptographer

Default gpart restore

I have a 2 TB hard disk that am throwing into a home server. It was in an old machine but has been sitting on my workbench for a time. Before I formated it, I decided to run
Code:
glabel list
on it. It shows and old FreeBSD partition, but the partition is corrupt.

Anyway, I decided to try
Code:
gpart restore
on it. It been running for 20 hr or so now. How long should this take to do something or fail?
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2019
Daemonology student

This may be the first signs of mechanical failure. Sometimes you can notice a tremendous performance drop when the mechanism starts wearing out: the disk slows down then stops working completely, especially when being subjected to long and intensive processes such as dump/restore, dd, etc.
While it may not give you a definite answer, you probably should run sysutils/smartmontools.

Also try changing cables. You can't imagine how much trouble a bad cable can cause you!
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th September 2019
VPN Cryptographer

Thanks for the reply.

You might be on to something about mechanical failure, the drive is older and I hadn't thought of that because of how it got corrupt - power failure. Gonna try smartmontools
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th September 2019
More noise than signal

If read performance degraded due to retries, the drive electronics should record it S.M.A.R.T. logs. Retries are usually noticeable due to the elapsed time for rotation delay with each attempt.