DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > Miscellaneous > General software and network

General software and network General OS-independent software and network questions, X11, MTA, routing, etc.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2022
Port Guard

Question multiple-command cron jobs without emails?

I do many cron jobs like below.
Code:
0 0 * * * command1 && command2 && command3 && command4 && command5 1> /dev/null 2>&1
Obviously I don't want their emails but apparently first four email, I guess not fifth. Is there a way to stop emails other than '1> /dev/null 2>&1' at end of every command?
        I'd like to know for *BSD Unix (Open, Free, and fine to describe Net, DragonFly, IllumOS) and hopefully strictly Unix-like GNU/Linux (Slackware, though I don't use Devuan or Gentoo much., and don't consider latter two strictly Unix-like but almost, and no others well-known are anything close.)

Last edited by dchmelik; 12th May 2022 at 11:24 AM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th May 2022
More noise than signal

I'd put all of those commands you've strung together into a script, and execute the script.

OpenBSD's cron(8) man page says:
Quote:
Any output produced by a command is sent to the user specified in the MAILTO environment variable as set in the crontab(5) file or, if no MAILTO variable is set (or if this is an at(1) or batch(1) job), to the job's owner. If a command produces no output or if the MAILTO environment variable is set to the empty string, no mail will be sent. The exception to this is at(1) or batch(1) jobs submitted with the -m flag. In this case, mail will be sent even if the job produces no output.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th May 2022
Administrator

One thing to remember is that the MAILTO variable will be used in all subsequent cron jobs

Code:
MAILTO=""
0 0 * * * command1 && command2 && command3 && command4 && command5 
1 1 * * * command1 && command2 && command3
MAILTO=root
2 2 * * * command1 && command2
In this example the first two jobs will not produce any emails. In order to get an email for the third job, you will have to set MAILTO again.
To prevent this I find it easier is to move all the no-email-wanted jobs to the end:
Code:
MAILTO=root
2 2 * * * command1 && command2
MAILTO=""
0 0 * * * command1 && command2 && command3 && command4 && command5 
1 1 * * * command1 && command2 && command3