DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD General

OpenBSD General Other questions regarding OpenBSD which do not fit in any of the categories below.

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2022
Shell Scout

Default dummies like me, an answer to nvidia and the puffy?

hi

Im sorry to disturb openbsd with a question whom might have been answered lot of times, Im doing it for two reasons :
a. because it allows openbsd community to answer with an understandable reply to interrogation related to nvidia chip and support in openbsd
b. because mainly all information and answers that I read on the internet are 2021- based, means now out of date.

in a way, if my uncle/cousin/sister asks me if openbsd could work properly (means 3D, videos, multimedia), on a nvidia based only laptop, could it work regarding that new (little.... or tiny?) step from nvidia?
https://github.com/NVIDIA/open-gpu-kernel-modules

I thank you to explain a bit (maybe with some history), if it could change absolutely nothing, if it has to be longly ported to openbsd (or never?) and if the opensource criteria could be useful for openbsd (or not at all?)

I thank you vm, and please speak like if I was 17
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 9th July 2022
More noise than signal

NVIDIA is normally a closed-source company. They do not publish their hardware interfaces. Because of this, there are only two possible X11 drivers available for any OpenBSD workstation that needs to use an NVIDIA video card:
  • The nv(4) driver. It is open source, however this driver was developed by NVIDIA engineers for use with X.org, but was abandoned by NVIDIA in 2010. It will work for select legacy NVIDIA video cards that were prevalent on the market during this driver's active development period.
  • The vesa(4) driver. This driver conforms to the VESA industry standard. Because it conforms to VESA, it has limited resolution options and there is no hardware acceleration available. VESA is a "lowest-common-denominator" minimal-function standard that permits limited integration between displays, video cards, and graphic control software.
This particular "open source" offering is incomplete. It is my understanding that it is a kernel driver, but it is lacking an open source version of the associated graphics library required to make it functional. I have seen comments online from OpenBSD developers that recommend that you "don't hold your breath."

Last edited by jggimi; 10th July 2022 at 12:00 AM. Reason: clarity: there are only 2 drivers for OpenBSD. NVIDIA writes drivers for other OSes.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2022
Bitchy Nerd Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrollld View Post
That only provides compute (CUDA) functionality. All it's good for is bitcoin mining. Yay NVIDIA.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 10th July 2022
More noise than signal

Thanks for the additional clarity, Matthew!
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th October 2022
Shell Scout

hey
would it be possible to experience the following one on openbsd?
is there a beginning of hope?
https://www.collabora.com/news-and-b...ucing-nvk.html
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/nouveau/mesa
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th October 2022
More noise than signal

This is ONLY OPINION. I'm just a user like you.

Maybe, possibly, in the future, if these projects ever join the main trunk of the Mesa 3D Graphics Library rather than being separate forks. And only then, if there are any OpenBSD developers with NVIDIA hardware, sufficient interest, and sufficient time.