DaemonForums  

Go Back   DaemonForums > OpenBSD > OpenBSD Security

OpenBSD Security Functionally paranoid!

#1   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st April 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Default NPF ported to OpenBSD

Just an hour ago Mindaugas Rasiukevicius rmind@openbsd.org have committed the new firewall to OpenBSD.

Last edited by Oko; 2nd April 2015 at 03:49 PM.
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2015
Spam Deminer

I believe he wants to port it to FreeBSD and illumos when he has the time but I've never heard mention of OpenBSD.

If this is an April Fools prank, I don't understand why you're picking on Mindaugas and npf which was designed and written from scratch and has had a lot of time and effort put into it. It surpasses OpenBSD's pf in some respects, one of which is that it is SMP capable, and another is the clean design.

Last edited by gpatrick; 2nd April 2015 at 11:00 AM.
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd April 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
If this is an April Fools prank
It was a prank. Chill out dude. It was inspired by out recent discussion on FreeBSD forums regarding the choice of firewalls on FreeBSD. I mentioned that the choice of firewalls on BSDs is great:
  • IPFW on FreeBSD is getting lots of love and it is being actively developed.
  • DragonFly BSD has new IPFWv3 firewall built on the top of IPFW code they inherited from FreeBSD.
  • You guys have your own NPF which is completely indigenous code and the best thing that happen to NetBSD in the long time.
  • OpenBSD has its own beloved PF which is becoming SMP capable through the work of OpenBSD developers (not FreeBSD and DF modifications which already exist) including network stack which is currently being tested in my understanding on 20 Gigabit and 50 Gigabit equipment.

Somebody replied that that is too many and the firewall should "unite" by adopting "portable NPF code". I thought that was funny and a bit offensive to OpenBSD developers/users who developed PF over past 15 years. So if anything about April fools' joke was meant to sting OpenBSD crowd.

Last edited by Oko; 2nd April 2015 at 03:41 PM.
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd April 2015
Shell Scout

I didn't see anything wrong with it.

I had thought about doing a post claiming that OpenBSD had decided to Merge its code with NetBSD. This was a decision made by OpenBSD's founder based on NetBSD's security break though, involving the inclusion of MS Windows binary execution directly from within the kernel. Theo was quoted as saying, "This streak of qenius undoes the years of frustration that has thus far maintained the divide between our two systems".

Last edited by fn8t; 3rd April 2015 at 01:52 PM.
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2015
Shell Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I'm wondering, whether this email address is genuine or fake as well?

BTW, the new Linux firewall replacing iptables (can't remember its name) seems to be based on similar ideas as NPF.
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th April 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBSD View Post
I'm wondering, whether this email address is genuine or fake as well?

BTW, the new Linux firewall replacing iptables (can't remember its name) seems to be based on similar ideas as NPF.
iptables are based on FreeBSD's IPFW